Community

Vets to fish at Lakenenland

MARQUETTE — With the enthusiastic support of Jacobetti Veterans Home in Marquette, Trout Unlimited and the Northern Michigan University student Fly Fishing Club, the veterans had a great outing earlier this summer at Lakenenland. The vets’ fly fishing club is called The Hero’s Fly ...

24th annual Youth Day planned

MARQUETTE — Ishpeming-Negaunee-NICE Community Schools is taking registrations for the 24th annual Youth Day (Safe Hunting and Shooting Event) sponsored by the U. P. Whitetails Association and the Negaunee Rod and Gun Club. This Youth Day is free to all youths ages 8-16, to be held at the ...

Test drives will raise funds

NEGAUNEE — From 3-5 p.m. Wednesday, during an open house event at the school, Fox Negaunee Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram will host a Chrysler Cars 4 Classrooms fundraiser for Negaunee Middle School students. During the Chrysler Cars 4 Classrooms event, parents and friends of the school, will ...

Bulletin Board

‘I Can Only Imagine’ screened MARQUETTE — At 12:30 p.m. Sept. 4, the Peter White Public Library will show the 2018 film “I Can Only Imagine.” Due to renovations, the film will be shown in the Business Reference Room on the top floor of the library. Closed captioning will be on to ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

‘France Dissected’ course offered MARQUETTE — Professor Roger Magnuson along with Professor Beverly Matherne will teach a six-week course entitled “France Dissected: Its People, Customs, and Institutions” in the Peter White Public Library’s Lions Room beginning on Sept. 6 from ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Bulletin Board

Piano performances at Erickson CURTIS — The Erickson Center for the Arts, Curtis, presents An Evening of Piano at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Aug.29. Hear several local pianists perform their favorite pieces on the beautiful Steinway. This a free event, donations are appreciated. Jacobetti vets ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

What’s flying: Counting birds

“When was the last time you spent a quiet moment just doing nothing — just sitting and looking at the sea, or watching the wind blowing the tree limbs, or waves rippling on a pond, a flickering candle or children playing in the park?” — Ralph Marston Watching and counting birds on a ...

Bulletin Board

Ice Cream Social event to be held MENOMINEE — West Shore Fishing Museum will host its annual Ice Cream Social on Sept. 2 from noon to 4 p.m. (CDT). Visitors are invited to celebrate the end of summer at an old-fashioned community picnic on a beautiful and interesting bay shore property ...

Babysitter is a nightmare

Dear Annie: I need advice regarding a recent nanny experience. I hired someone out of sheer desperation. I moved to a new town and have no friends or family around and am a single mother, and I had been with my 4-year-old son since March, one-on-one with no real breaks. I hired her from a ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Kotzian, John. “Sky Pilot of the Great Lakes. A Biography of Reverend William H. Law.” 2014. 363.28 Ko Michigan Non Fiction. The term “Sky Pilot” was sailor’s talk for Chaplin. After having his life saved by the crew of a U.S. Life-Saving Station on the Great Lakes, Rev. Law spent ...

The calendar

Community group inspires Munising pastor

I began a community meeting this past week with a prayer for a time of conflict, crisis or disaster. I don’t know about you, but I only have to turn on the news for a moment to feel like that is where we are as a nation. And so after our group pledged allegiance to the flag and sang one ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:30am Worship Child care available. The ...

Bulletin Board

Erickson Center program announced CURTIS — Bids are being taken now for the 2018 Park Art “Welcome to the ECA” Hand Painted Doors at the Erickson Center for the Performing Arts in Curtis. The center is now accepting bids for the silent auction of the hand painted doors from Park Art. ...

BF is using drugs

Dear Annie: I’m worried that my boyfriend is abusing his prescription drugs. He goes for days without taking them and then takes several times the recommended doses all at once. He says he likes the intense rush he feels when he takes them this way. (They’re stimulants.) I’ve expressed ...

The Calendar

Bulletin Board

Colorado Yoopers to gather MARQUETTE — The Colorado Yoopers have announced that this year’s annual picnic will be at noon Sunday MDT at Bear Creek Lake Park — Pelican Point on Bear Creek Reservoir — in Lakewood, Colorado. Anyone from the Upper Peninsula who wants to attend or join ...