Community

The Calendar 10/18/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 10/18/18

Tai Chi Chuan workshop set MARQUETTE — From 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, an introductory workshop to the mindbody practice of Tai Chi Chuan will take place at the Hope Connection Center, 927 W. Fair Ave., Marquette. No prior experience is needed. Jon and Diana Magnuson will serve as ...

Should parents be filled in?

Dear Annie: I wrote to you several months ago. I’m “Trapped by Parents.” I have a disability that has caused me to have great difficulty in both obtaining and retaining jobs. The resulting lack of income has forced me to live with my parents. My parents are obsessed with the idea that ...

Bulletin Board 10/17/18

Conservation district session set MARQUETTE — The Marquette County Conservation District will celebrate its 63rd Natural Resources Cele- bration on Dec. 5 in the Great Lakes Michigan Room at Northern Michigan University. This event will feature appetizers, a cash bar and an election of ...

The calendar 10/17/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

He’s a problem son

Dear Annie: I am writing to you about the adult son of a friend of mine. This young man, “Dwayne,” has had a bad couple of years. He was kicked out of the military, divorced and had terrible child custody problems. My friend loves her son very much, but he is rather lazy. He has had several ...

Erickson family night planned

CURTIS — Family Chiller Night at the Erickson Center for the Arts in Curtis with author Jonathan Rand is planned from 4:30-7 p.m. Saturday. Attendees are invited to begin this spooktacular night with a fun family scavenger hunt on the ECA grounds starting at 4 p.m. then come inside for ...

Museum program set

MARQUETTE — Marquette Maritime Museum presents Ghosts of Lighthouse Point from 7-9 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The public is invited to join maritime staff — and maybe a few ghosts — for a haunted tour of the Maritime Museum and Lighthouse Point. This event is not intended for very ...

Bulletin Board 10/16/18

St. Joe’s fall bazaar coming up ISHPEMING — St. Joseph’s Parish, 1880 Prairie Ave., Ishpeming, will hold its 75th Fall Bazaar from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Booths will feature baked goods, crafts, drawings, a white elephant sale and various vendors. At 11 a.m. a luncheon will be ...

Does Alzheimer’s patient get invite?

Dear Annie: My father has late-stage Alzheimer’s and is in a nursing home. Do I send an invitation addressed to my dad and mom, my mom alone or my mom plus one? I want to acknowledge the fact that he is still alive, but I don’t want to act as if I have my head stuck in the ground. I’m ...

The calendar 10/16/18

The calendar

Eco Printing program, demo set

MARQUETTE — The Lake Superior Art Association is hosting an Eco Printing program and demonstration at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Eco Printing is an art form that uses plants to transfer their botanical images onto paper. Michele Tuccini and Charlice Stewart will demonstrate the process, show ...

‘Chappaquiddick’ to be screened

MARQUETTE — Bring lunch and get together with other movie lovers to watch “Chappaquiddick” at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Peter White Public Library’s Heritage Room on the top floor of the library. Closed captioning will be on to ensure access for all. On July 18, 1969, Ted Kennedy ...

Holidays Gift Mart vendors sought

HOUGHTON — Vendor booth applications are now being accepted for the 21st Annual Home for the Holidays Gift Mart, which will be held at the Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts in Houghton from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 24. The annual Home for the Holidays Gift Mart is a juried show, ...

Bulletin Board

‘Love, Simon’ to be screened MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites film fans to watch “Love, Simon” at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the library’s Heritage Room. Bring dinner to enjoy the movie in a dinner theater setting with other movie lovers. Like all young people, ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Genealogy workshop to be held MARQUETTE — The Marquette County Genealogical Society will host the second workshop in the Genealogy Topics series. Samantha Ashby, reference librarian, will lead a session in scanning and editing family photographs, in order to digitally preserve the image ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Island retreat provides writer respite

“C’mon go with me babe, c’mon go with me girl, baby let’s go to the cabin down below.” — Tom Petty The last fingers of sunlight slipped down slowly over the harbor and fell behind the blazing hardwoods along the top of the ridge, leaving shadows to fall across the gray, rocky ...