Community

Bulletin Board

Pet Partners’ handler class May 11 MARQUETTE — April 26 is the deadline to sign up for the SuperiorLand Pet Partners’ next handler class. The class will be May 11 in Marquette. The handler class is the first step in a process of training, testing and registering handler/animal ...

Anger stays with sobriety

Dear Annie: I’m in a bit of a predicament here. I’m with a wonderful woman who is a few years older than I am. She is a single mom of a sweet 7-year-old daughter. She has worked hard to overcome some alcoholic issues and has recently made strides in becoming sober and a better mother for ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

New Adult Fiction, Women Writers “The Alice Network” by Kate Quinn In this fast-paced historical fiction novel by best-selling author Kate Quinn, two women with very different stories find themselves working together to solve a mystery and find redemption. England native Eve Gardiner is ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin board

O’Connor set to perform at NMU MARQUETTE — Grammy Award-winning mezzo-soprano Kelley O’Connor will perform as part of Northern Michigan University’s Siril Concert Series at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Reynolds Recital Hall. Admission is free. O’Connor originated the role of Federico ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Reception to be held for Magnuson MARQUETTE — A reception for watercolorist Dr. Roger Magnuson is being held from 2-4 p.m. Friday at Travel Marquette, 117 W. Washington St. Magnuson, who grew up in Marquette and received his Ph.D. in history from University of Michigan, taught 35 years at ...

Could gift actually be a subtle hint?

Dear Annie: I read your response to “Loving Mother,” whose children bought her gift cards to clothing stores rather than generic, credit card-type gift cards. Though I agree that honesty is the best policy, perhaps her children were actually trying to give her a subtle hint that she needs ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

NAMI to hold support group MARQUETTE — The National Alliance on Mental Illness-Alger/Marquette offers free, confidential peer support groups and educational meetings for individuals living with mental illness, and friends or families living with an individual with mental illness. A ...

Reader fears relative is a narcissist

Dear Annie: I fear that my stepgrandson, “Tommy,” is a narcissist. As a child, he was bullheaded, and he forced others to give in to his wants and demands. He is now 19 and refuses to get a job. He was fired for laziness but lied and said that he had resigned. His mother is the sole wage ...

Genealogy assistance to be offered

MARQUETTE — Representatives of the Marquette County Genealogical Society will be available to guide people through the rough spots in family history research. Those with an interest in genealogy are welcome to work individually with an experienced genealogist from 10 a.m. to noon April 2 ...

The calendar

Volunteers are in need of help

Dear Annie: I am an officer in an old but still active community cemetery with graves dating back to at least the 1800s and with plenty of available space. We have the usual slate of officers and board of directors. We advertise our public meetings, as directed in our bylaws, but they are ...

Knitting guild getting together

MARQUETTE — Up North Knitting Guild meeting for March will be on Thursday at the Peter White Public Library in the lower level in studio 2. The meeting will go from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. This is a members only yarn sale night. Members bring yarn or anything they no longer want or need. Also ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Cousin should try spreading time around

Dear Annie: I have four cousins, whom I love a lot. There’s “Piper,” the eldest at 10, with whom I connect on a social and BFF level. The second-eldest, 8-year-old “Wes,” loves to play video games with me, as well as trade Pokemon cards. Then there’s “Ellie,” 7, who likes to ...

Childhood obesity lecture set

MARQUETTE — The next Your Health lecture at Northern Michigan University will be titled “Childhood Obesity: What We Can Do to Help.” Dr. John Bartlett, assistant professor in the Department of Pediatrics and Human Development at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, will ...

Author to discuss book at NMU

MARQUETTE — Patrick Deneen, author of “Why Liberalism Failed,” will give a presentation followed by a Q&A session at Northern Michigan University. The event will be held from 7-9 p.m. Thursday in 1322 Jamrich Hall. It is free and open to the public. Of the three dominant ideologies ...