Community

The calendar 10/22/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Reach out and annoy someone

Dear Annie: I own a small service business. We have a business phone number, but I also have a cellphone number. The latter is on my business card, and it is obviously the way people prefer to communicate. My problem is that customers don’t hesitate to call me or text me at any hour of the ...

Bulletin Board

Women of Wonder Workshop set MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites patrons to a Women of Wonder Workshop led by Eunai Danek in the Library’s Heritage Room from 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday. Whether you want to be an animal, monster or superhero, scary, cute or sexy, learn how to ...

Bulletin Board continued

‘Octavio on Tap’ held Tuesday MARQUETTE — A chance to meet the Marquette Symphony Orchestra’s new Principal Conductor is coming up soon. The MSO is hosting “Octavio on Tap” from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday at Ore Dock Brewing Company in Marquette. Octavio Mas-Arocas has dazzled ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Friend’s assertion that affairs can ‘spice up’ marriage is wrong

Q: A friend of mine claims he’s heard that having an affair can actually spice up your marriage. That sounds wrong to me, but I’m not really sure what to say to him. What’s your take? Jim: Having an affair will certainly NOT “spice up” the relationship. Infidelity has been described ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool A Reorganized S&P 500 Q: I heard that the S&P 500 recently reorganized itself. What does that mean? — A.B., Winona, Minnesota A: The Standard & Poor’s 500 index of 500 big companies is adjusted regularly, with some companies being removed from the index while ...

Beware of kennel cough

Dear Readers: Is your dog around other dogs quite a bit? He could be exposed to KENNEL COUGH. Highly contagious, kennel cough is a lung disease; your dog will have a terrible “honking” cough, no appetite, a runny nose, no energy and a fever. It is treatable, but how about an immunization ...

Pumpkins present a predicament for pair of petulant neighbors

DEAR ABBY: I’ve had it up to here with my crabby next-door neighbor. She grows vegetables in her garden — squash and pumpkins at this time of year. Our properties are separated by a wire fence. A few days before Halloween last year, a friend brought her two grandsons, who are 4 and 6, ...

Cheater can’t decide between two men

Dear Annie: I am in my mid-20s, and I’ve found myself in a tough spot. I am seeing two men. “Mack” is around my age, and we’ve been dating for about a year. “John” is a married man and quite a bit older. Mack turned what I thought was a casual relationship into something serious ...

The hierarchy of oils

DEAR DR. ROACH: Please write about the increasing use of “fashionable” coconut oil and coconut milk. I am on a plant-based diet, approaching vegan, and I see more products with high amounts of saturated fat, which seems to be due to increased use of coconut. I see this used in yogurts ...

‘View from the Upper Deck’ event

MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites the public to the book release of “View from the Upper Deck” by Paula VanderMey. The event will be at 6 p.m. Monday in the library’s Heritage Room. Paula VanderMey is a local Michigan author. Born in Rockford, she graduated from ...

Preparation party held Monday

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Public Library invites people to challenge themselves to write 50,000 words in 30 days. A preparation party/Q&A session for National Novel Writing Month will be held from 6-7 p.m. Monday at the Negaunee Public Library. There will be refreshments. The public is ...

The calendar

Why can’t we not be friends?

Dear Annie: My husband and I have become friends with another couple from church. They are very nice, but the wife is extremely controlling. My husband and I don’t feel as if they even know us, because the wife always interrupts and talks at me and in my face. We have tried to back off of the ...

The calendar

Rock, mineral group to meet

ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming Rock and Mineral Club will be meeting at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the Cliff Shaft Mine Museum, 501 W. Euclid St., Ishpeming. Doors will open at 1 p.m. to allow members and visitors time to bid on silent auction specimens and to view the club’s mineral ...

Hug the library Saturday

MARQUETTE — At 11 a.m. Saturday, the Peter White Public Library is asking for 200 supporters to join in hugging the library. Everyone is invited to be part of this huge public display of affection as people join hands and wrap PWPL in a giant hug. Participants will circle the library as a ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: Last year, I wrote to you about my beautiful 35-year-old daughter and the kidney transplant she'd just received through the United Network for Organ Sharing. I am "A Very Grateful Mom." My daughter continues to do well and is leading a healthy life. We would like to thank the ...