Community

Bulletin Board

Angela Kinsey to speak at NMU MARQUETTE — Actress Angela Kinsey, best known for her role on the NBC television series “The Office,” will give a presentation at Northern Michigan University. The event is scheduled at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Jamrich 1100. The presentation is free for ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Spring has officially begun and the snowbanks are starting to melt after this record breaking winter season! These last few days of icy roads and sidewalks are the perfect time to dream about potential housing updates, remodeling projects and gardening. One of the more recent trends in ...

Unasked for tenants

Dear Annie: My husband and I own a second home. Our daughter, her boyfriend and their two small children live in that house and pay us rent. Six months ago, the entire boyfriend’s family (his mom, dad, two grown brothers and brothers’ girlfriends) moved in. They moved from out of state and ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Women’s retreat planned

SAULT STE. MARIE — The 46th annual Women Today Retreat, an inter-denominational Christian ministry, will be held on April 12-14 at Lake Superior State University at the Cisler Center in Sault Ste. Marie. The theme for the retreat is “Regret Free Living” based on Philippians 3:13b. ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Book expert at Carnegie Library ISHPEMING — From 1-3 p.m. Saturday, David White, Ishpeming resident and amateur bibliophile, will offer assistance to patrons of the Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library desiring to know if they own books with special value or importance. Examples might be first ...

Guest is opinionated

Dear Annie: We often invite my brother-in-law to share dinner with us. He lives alone across the street and seems to enjoy the food when he comes over. I am writing because he is very opinionated and shuts me down whenever I say something that he disagrees with. Recently, it was when I said ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Shanty removal date announced MARQUETTE — The Michigan Department of Natural Resources reminds anglers that mandatory ice shanty removal dates are approaching. Regardless of the date, shanties must be removed before the ice is unable to safely support them. For all Upper Peninsula ...

Finds old box of letters up in the attic

Dear Annie: I’m a happily married almost-70-year-old woman who has been sorting and purging the contents of boxes in my attic in preparation for downsizing. I was surprised to find one shoe box stuffed full of letters that an old high school boyfriend, “Dave,” wrote to me during his first ...

‘Green Book’ screening set

MARQUETTE — Bring lunch and get together with other movie lovers to watch “Green Book” at 12:30 p.m. April 2 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Closed captioning will be on to ensure access for all. This film is based on the true ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Beekeeping workshop planned EWEN — Michigan State University Extension is once again teaming up with Les McBean, of White Birch Apiary of Bruce Crossing, LLC , to offer a Backyard Beekeeping Workshop. This year’s workshop will be held on Saturday 30 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST at the ...

That old box of letters

Dear Annie: I’m a happily married almost-70-year-old woman who has been sorting and purging the contents of boxes in my attic in preparation for downsizing. I was surprised to find one shoe box stuffed full of letters that an old high school boyfriend, “Dave,” wrote to me during his first ...

The calendar

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: As long as I can remember, my parents have controlled the majority of my actions. They’ve told me which classes to take, which subjects to pursue, which extracurriculars to participate in, which colleges to apply to. Over the years, when I’ve tried to speak up, they’ve shut me ...

Blood drives announced

MARQUETTE — UP Health System-Marquette’s Regional Blood Center has announced upcoming blood drives throughout the Upper Peninsula (all times local). ≤ Today, LSSU’s Crow’s Nest, Sault Ste. Marie from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. For an appointment call Andrea Olson at 906-635-7483. ≤ ...

NAMI to meet in Marquette

MARQUETTE — The National Alliance on Mental Illness-Alger/Marquette offers free, confidential peer support groups and educational meetings for individuals living with mental illness, and friends or families living with an individual with mental illness. A support group will gather at 7 ...

Bulletin Board This Week

‘Learning to Walk Together’ pow wow MARQUETTE — The Native American Student Association at Northern Michigan University will present the“Learning to Walk Together” traditional pow wow. The event will be held on Saturday in the Marquette National Guard Armory. General admission ...