Community

Can keto diet contribute to atrial fibrillation?

DEAR DR. ROACH: My husband, age 67, recently was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. He began feeling very weak, and got dizzy every time he stood. We both had started on the keto diet together about a week prior. I’m a registered nurse. After taking his blood pressure and finding it to be ...

Bulletin Board

Chasin’ Steel to perform Thursday L’ANSE — Bluegrass music at its best: Chasin’ Steel performs at 7 p.m. Thursday at the L’Anse Lakefront Concerts, Lakefront Park, foot of Broad Street. This is a free event. Meadowbrook Arena is the inclement weather site. Supercharge ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Join the Peter White Public Library’s book club, Klava Klub, the third Wednesday of every month at 7 p.m. at Contrast Coffee at 600 N. Third St. to talk about sci-fi novels, old and new. Or just check out some of these new selections. Misfit characters join together in G. Derek Adams’ ...

Brother stays at arm’s length

Dear Annie: I have a problem with my brother, “Josh.” Josh seems to want to cut me and our mom out of his life. I’m indifferent to how much contact I have with my brother, but Mom is not. Josh is having surgery in a few days, and though he didn’t directly state it, it’s clear that he ...

Shorter days reveal the end of summer is near

“To say it was a beautiful day would not begin to explain it. It was that day when the end of summer intersects perfectly with the start of fall.” - Ann Patchett The end of summer will come on a day when no one realizes it. It will be followed by a cool day, maybe a day filled with ...

Bulletin Board

Gwinn schools retirees gathering GWINN — Gwinn Area Community Schools Retirees will meet at noon Tuesday at the Crossroads Restaurant. Retirees are invited to enjoy a Dutch Treat lunch and visit with friends from the past years. Community meal Wednesday GWINN — Everybody is welcome to ...

Expiration dates are often elusive

Dear Annie: OK, I realize there are innumerable insurmountable, earth-shaking universal problems in our world. This is definitely a “First World problem,” but it is one that could be easily fixed. Could manufacturers please mark their food products with expiration dates that are easy to ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

DNR classroom curricula available MARQUETTE — Registration is open for wildlife classroom curricula available to elementary through high school educators, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources announced. Curricula fit current state educational standards and are free of charge. ...

The calendar

Ask before tossing

Dear Annie: You recently wrote that an adult daughter was wrong to discard her mother’s pantry food without asking her first — even food that had expired. What do you think about the current trend of girlfriends and wives discarding their boyfriends’ and husbands’ outdated clothes? I ...

The Calendar

ITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Unwilling to be a reference

Dear Annie: A couple of years ago, when I was starting a business, a friend put me in touch with her friend “Margaret,” who had just started her own boutique marketing and public relations firm. I ended up hiring Margaret to help promote my new business. She was going to pitch articles ...

Bulletin Board

Board of Health meeting on tap MARQUETTE — The regular monthly meeting of the Marquette County Board of Health will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Room 231 of the Henry A. Skewis Courthouse Annex, Marquette. Super One having annual cookout MARQUETTE — Super One Foods of Marquette and Negaunee ...

The Calendar

Dealing with a screaming child

Dear Annie: I was recently shopping in a department store, when I heard the very loud screams of a child. Because the screaming was so abnormal, I wanted to seek the child out to see what was causing it. When I found the screamer, she was being pushed in a stroller by her mother, with a man ...

The calendar

Cedar River Bridge Walk set

CEDAR RIVER — This year’s Cedar River Bridge Walk will have major changes, including it will not be a fundraiser for the Cedarville Township Fire Department. The BridgeWalk will reverse direction starting with opening ceremonies at the Cedarville Township Hall on Old Mill Lane across from ...