Community

The gift of the Magi

One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one’s cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied. Three ...

The Calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Tree Line designations available LANSING — Time is running short for Michigan communities, college campuses and utilities seeking Tree City, Tree Campus or Tree Line USA designation. These annual programs are sponsored by the Arbor Day Foundation and administered by forestry agencies in ...

He’s a time hawk

Dear Annie: I don’t want to continue to let two of my friends steal my time. One friend is the worst when it comes to this. She calls me at least twice a week. I believe that her husband does everything in the house — cooking, shopping and all the driving — because she has plenty of time ...

TV6 to air ‘Finnish Christmas’

NEGAUNEE — The roots of Finnish heritage in the Upper Peninsula will be explored in a program called “A Finnish Christmas.” The program features host Walt Lindala who talks to Jim Kurtti from the Finnish American Heritage Center at Finlandia University in Hancock and Tanya Stanaway, a ...

The calendar 12/18/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 12/18/12

NWS monitoring sites added NEGAUNEE — The National Weather Service-Marquette station, based in Negaunee Township, has added four new river monitoring sites to its Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service page. That page is at https://water.weather.gov/ ahps2/index.php?wfo=mqt. These ...

Solution for lack of gratitude

Dear Annie: Over the years, my son, his wife and our granddaughter have been the recipients of many gifts from my wife and me. Unfortunately, other than the holidays when we are in the same room with them as they receive gifts, we never receive any recognition that they have received the items ...

The calendar

Masonic Marketplace planned

MARQUETTE — The Masonic Marketplace, featuring more than 20 vendors, is planned from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Marquette Masonic Center, 130 W. Washington St., Marquette. Free parking is available in the ramp behind the building. Santa is set to make an appearance.

NAMI to meet in Marquette

MARQUETTE — National Alliance on Mental Illness Alger/Marquette will be having a support group meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday at 129 W. Baraga Ave., Marquette. NAMI meetings are confidential and open to individuals living with a mental illness and family, friends, etc. of such individuals. ...

PWPL to host science fiction group

MARQUETTE — At 7 p.m. Wednesday, the Peter White Public Library will host a meeting of its science fiction book group, Klava Klub, at Contrast Coffee, located at 600 N. Third St., Marquette. In this second book of Butler’s Xenogenesis series, humans have been returned to Earth, divided ...

Teen Artist Exploration applications

HOUGHTON — Isle Royale National Park begins accepting applications for the summer 2019 Isle Royale Teen Artist Exploration on Jan. 2. This artistic discovery is geared to all aspiring teen artists who want to develop their art through experiencing wilderness, and is open to all visual and ...

The calendar

Still taking the ex to see the fam

Dear Annie: My boyfriend is still taking his ex-girlfriend to see his son and his son’s family, who reside in another state. He says that she is very active in his grandkids’ life and that they love her very much. He says he has no romantic feelings for her, but they still communicate ...

Make holidays happy for pets by keeping them safe, healthy

DEAR ABBY: Holidays can be stressful and even dangerous for pets. Here are some things pet owners can do to make them less so for their four-legged companions: 1. Feed, walk or play with them before the party, then take them to a quiet room with water and a nice treat. With a cat, make sure ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Considering nose strips, other nighttime congestion aids

DEAR DR. ROACH: I have allergies and am congested a lot at night. I have read about over-the-counter clips and adhesive tapes. Would they help me breathe better? Are they safe for the long term? — M.V.M. ANSWER: There are many different types of external devices that are designed to open ...

Newlyweds have different ideas of how to celebrate Christmas

Q: My new husband and I are excited for our first Christmas as a married couple. But we’re having differences of opinion over how we should celebrate. Is that normal? Jim: Christmas is an exciting time of year for most newlyweds. But transitioning from “his traditions” and “her ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Stocks Rising — on Bad News Q. General Motors announced major layoffs on Nov. 26, but its stock went up. Shouldn’t it have fallen? — H.L., Ann Arbor, Michigan A. The shares popped as much as 7.8 percent that day and ended the trading day 4.8 percent higher. Stock price ...