Community

Is he really a friend?

Dear Annie: I have a dear friend who lives nearby, but for some reason, he will not contact me. We grew up together, and a year ago, I helped him, his wife and his dogs out after Hurricane Irma knocked out electricity at their home. He has never really thanked me, and he never calls me. And I ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m an old guy with some advice for other older people in the workforce. I’ve been a contract attorney working in health care for over 30 years. When I got let go from my company three years ago after 15 years, I’m telling you, finding another job was the hardest job I’ve ...

Vinyl record show at Ore Dock

MARQUETTE — Beginning at 5 p.m.Wednesday until 11 p.m. Sunday, a five-day vinyl record sale will be held at the Ore Dock Brewing Company at 114 W. Spring St., Marquette. This event will take place in the second floor community room and is presented by the Northern Michigan University Vinyl ...

Carnegie program cancelled

ISHPEMING — The Friends of the Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library are sorry to announce that due to unforeseen circumstances the program on beekeeping that they had scheduled for Sept.15, has been cancelled. The Friends hope to reschedule the program at a future date.

Mini-meditation retreat planned

MARQUETTE — A mini-meditation retreat is being held 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday. The retreat will be held at Awakenings, 118 W. Washington St., Suite 2C, Marquette. Anyone is welcome to attend. The retreat will be held in Noble Silence with alternating sitting and walking ...

What’s flying: Plenty of reasons to go enjoy the seasons

“The eagle has no fear of adversity. We need to be like the eagle and have a fearless spirit of a conqueror.” - Joyce Meyer Despite the history of bald eagles along Lake Superior's shoreline around Marquette, including several nesting sites, bald eagles are not regularly seen there. ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Spread thin on visits back home

Dear Annie: I’d like to make a plea to your readers. My wife and I live far from the places where we grew up, but most of our friends are still close to our respective parents. When we visit, especially now that we have children, it is always stressful because of our friends’ ...

Vegans getting together at PWPL

MARQUETTE — Join Northern Vegans for a vegan potluck dinner at 6 p.m. Monday in the Lions Room on the first floor of the Peter White Public Library at 217 N. Front St., Marquette. Bring a vegan dish (no meat, dairy or honey) to share, or consider a donation to the group if unable to bring ...

Retired state employees meeting

ESCANABA — Upper Peninsula Chapter 16 of the State Employee Retirement Association will meet for a luncheon at noon Monday at the Highland Golf Club west of Escanaba. Call Arlene at 906-786-7199 or Frank at 906-786-2965 for reservations.

Alzheimer’s education events set

MARQUETTE — The Alzheimer’s Association is hosting free educational programs this month. They include: ≤ Tuesday: Dementia Conversations 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. Peter White Library (Lion’s Room) 217 N. Front St. Marquette ≤ Tuesday: Dementia Conversations 12:30 - 1:30 ...

The calendar

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I have been married for one year to a classmate whom I reconnected with at our 50th high school class reunion. While he was courting me, he seemed perfect. He spent money on me, bought loving cards, bought flowers, took me to restaurants and fancy hotels. You get the picture. He ...

Managing grief seminar planned

MARQUETTE — Lake Superior Life Care and Hospice is again offering during the months of September through mid-November a one-hour presentation titled “Managing Grief through the Holidays.” Research indicates that those who have the most difficult time with holiday grief are those who do ...

Rock center to rock during dance

ROCK — A dance will take place at the Rock Community-Senior Center, 3892 W. Mapleridge Road, Rock, from 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Music will be provided by The Country Express. Entry is $5 per person and a free-will donation lunch is available. For more info, call Alice at 356-6588. All proceeds ...

Ishpeming building tour set

ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming Area Historical Society announces the annual Places and Spaces Home Tour Fundraiser will be from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. Various homes, a commercial building and a church are featured, where there will be refreshments. For further information, visit the society ...

St. Rita Fall Fest on tap

TRENARY — St. Rita Parish in Trenary will hold its annual Fall Festival on the parish grounds Sunday. A harvest dinner featuring turkey with all the trimmings and homemade pie will be served from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the parish hall. Dinner tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children ...

‘Malala’ documentary to be shown

MARQUETTE — DocuMonday presents a screening of the 2015 documentary “He Named Me Malala,” directed by Davis Guggenheim, at 7 p.m. Monday in the Peter White Public Library’s Business Reference Room on the top level of the Library. When Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai was just ...

Bulletin Board

DAR to meet in Hancock MARQUETTE — The Onagomingkway Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at the Quincy Mine in Hancock on Saturday for an 11 a.m. tour followed by lunch at the Hut in Kiersarge. Tickets are $25 for the tour. Any questions about this ...