Community

The mommy burden

Dear Annie: My boyfriend and I are starting to get serious, and everything is going smoothly except for one constant bump in the road: his mother. His dad is out of the picture. She is single, and he is an only child and lives at home. She desperately wants him to be a mama’s boy, but he ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

11-year-old boy makes donation to 2017 Cheer Club

Ask any Mining Journal employee and they will likely tell you among the best parts to working for the paper during the holidays is watching the mountain of Christmas presents donated by a very generous public to the annual Cheer Club grow day by day. The club, of course, supports St. Vincent ...

Coed sleepovers redux

Dear Readers: I recently published a letter from “Not Comfortable,” who is helping to raise her three granddaughters. She stated that coed sleepovers seem to be the norm for children in her town, and she wondered what reader consensus is on that topic. I was delighted to hear from people of ...

Good words and bad words listed

WASHINGTON — The recent excitement over an incredible story about the government trying to ban certain words reminded me of all the words and phrases I despise and wish were banned. For the sake of getting on with it, briefly: The Washington Post reported Friday that officials at the ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Reach out to those in need during the holiday season

Q: We usually do Christmas as “just” our immediate household. A friend suggested we invite some neighbors over. What do you think? Jim: Christmas is a delightful time of year. The parties, the festive decorations, the music — everyone seems so cheerful and happy. But not everyone ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Hollywood accusers named AP Entertainers of the Year

By MARK KENNEDY AP Entertainment Writer NEW YORK — Arguably the biggest thing that came from Hollywood this year wasn’t a movie or a TV show. It had heroines and villains, but no script. And it went viral despite having no big publicity machinery behind it. The women who initially ...

Houseful of extended family leaves no room for girlfriend

DEAR ABBY: I am a 56-year-old woman who has been with my boyfriend for seven years. He never lets me come to his place, but he comes to mine and stays every weekend. He always has his married children staying with him, even though they are financially well off and don’t need to. Every time ...

Wife’s obsession with game causes marital strife

Dear Annie: My wife is borderline addicted to “Words With Friends” (an app game similar to Scrabble), and it’s causing me concern, in addition to creating some strife within our marriage. It would be one thing if she were only playing with other female players, but she also has an ongoing ...

Psychological symptoms may overlap among conditions

DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 47-year-old woman, and I’ve dealt with inherited major depressive disorder since my teens. Drug treatment has always given me moderate relief. Two years ago, I described to my new doctor my lifelong tendency to have shifting moods (best in the mornings, worst in the ...

The Motley Fool

ASK THE FOOL Who’s Buying? Q: The stock market rises and falls as stocks are bought and sold — but just who is doing all that buying and selling? — S.N., Fayetteville, North Carolina A: Many buyers and sellers are individual investors like us, placing small trade orders through our ...

Some tips to ensure a smooth holiday season

Dear Readers: It’s the HOLIDAY SEASON, and many of us are with family and friends, or you might be by yourself. Whatever your situation, please know that I send you my warmest and happiest greetings! Here are a few short hints from me, your friend Heloise: ≤ DO try to enjoy yourself and ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

As a recent college graduate, I’ve made it my resolution — New Year’s and otherwise — to continue learning even outside of the classroom. Now that I have more free time to pursue my interests and hobbies, I am looking forward to learning some new skills. Here are a few new non-fiction ...

An outdated tradition?

Dear Annie: I am a baby boomer and appreciate the 20th-century tradition of “rising to the occasion” and taking in meals if a family member is ill or if there has been a death in the family. It is a kind and thoughtful gesture. I am in a club, and one member’s husband was diagnosed with ...

The calendar

Local tragedy ends in Carnegie Medal for civilian heroism

It’s always encouraging when out of a tragic turn of events, something good and positive can be found in the aftermath. On a June afternoon in 2016, a young man lost his life trying to save others from the frigid grips of Lake Superior, and just this week he was honored posthumously for ...

‘Tis the season for Christmas Bird Counts

“What I like about Christmas is that you can make people forget the past with the present.”- Don Marquis ‘Tis the season for Christmas Bird Counts, kicking off with the first two last Saturday, one in Houghton County and the second in the city of Marquette. AuTrain held their count the ...