Community

PWPL to show ‘Lady Bird’

MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites film fans to watch “Lady Bird” at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the library’s Community Room on the lower level. Bring dinner to enjoy the movie in a dinner theater setting with other movie lovers. Growing up in 2002 Sacramento, California, ...

‘A Quiet Place’ to be screened

MARQUETTE — Bring lunch and get together with other movie lovers to watch “A Quiet Place” at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Closed captioning will be on to ensure access for all. The Earth has been devastated ...

What’s flying: Bird migration starts to wind down

“I am quite a dreamer. I think we all are dreamers. We all don’t like to live a practical life all the time. There is a thin line between our hopes and dreams.” — Rani Mukerji Summer provided the Upper Peninsula with more than substantial rains. For some, those rains created disasters ...

Bulletin Board

Romirowsky to offer presentation MARQUETTE — Middle East scholar Asaf Romirowsky will present “United Nations Relief and Works Agency: The Crux of the Arab-Israeli Conflict” at Northern Michigan University. He is the author of Religion, Politics, and the Origins of Palestine Refugee ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Supervisor’s friend got the job

Dear Annie: My supervisor hired a friend for a job when there were others who appeared to be more qualified. Applicants had to take a test and score in the top three. The friend didn’t score high enough, but several very qualified co-workers did. The supervisor is asking people to sign off on ...

Here’s the answer to life’s most important question

He was a college student struggling with honest questions about life here and hereafter. His search had taken him away from the childhood beliefs instilled by his parents. Intriguing philosophical and cultic arguments appealed to his desire to be known to his supposed intellectual friends as ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:00am Worship Child care available. The ...

The calendar 11/01/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 11/01/18

Pasty Wednesday date changed MARQUETTE — The date for the next St. Christopher’s Pasty Wednesday was wrong in a recent Bulletin Board item. The sale is on Nov. 8, a Thursday, this month because of the general election on Tuesday. All Saints Celebration at cemetery NEGAUNEE — Immanuel ...

Unemployed and sluggish

Dear Annie: I have read columns like yours since I was a child in the 1980s and always figured, “Yeah, I have problems, but I can handle them.” I guess not. I am in my mid-40s and have two kids and a husband who keeps a roof over my head. I am unemployed, recently losing my job with ...

The calendar 10/31/18

Bulletin Board 10/31/18

Free health screenings coming up MARQUETTE — U.P. Home Health & Hospice announces free health care screenings for the month of November throughout Marquette County (all times local). Included in the free screenings are blood pressure, pulse and glucose checks and a $5 charge to have ...

Unwelcome guests

Dear Annie: Every year, my husband and I have immediate family and some friends over for Halloween. We make food, have beverages and take turns giving out candy. A niece of ours and her family always show up uninvited, even when we said one year we just wanted our kids and grandkids. They stay ...

The Calendar 10/30/18

His girls will still come first

Dear Annie: I’ve been dating a gentle, kind and loving man for a while. He goes to church, constantly reads his Bible and plays Christian music. We get along great. We have conversations for hours, and we laugh and cry together. But the problem is that he is so close to his three grown ...

Bulletin Board 10/30/18

NMU seeks input on master plan MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University is seeking community input on its campus master plan, which will provide a guide for future physical changes on campus. NMU recorded a recent campus forum where alternatives surrounding seven planning themes were ...

The calendar

Fluent in just one language

Dear Annie: I’ve always been great at gift-giving. I enjoy giving others things that they will thoroughly enjoy. But others are rarely as good at getting gifts for me. I don’t think I should feel bad for being a little materialistic; I think everyone likes getting thoughtful presents. I ...

Halloween carnival set at church

ISHPEMING — Everyone is invited to join in at NORTHIRON Church in Ishpeming for the Church Harvest Carnival, a night of family fun on Halloween night from 5-8 p.m. The congregation have tons of candy, an inflatable obstacle course, a velcro wall, the Doctor Yooper experience, and many other ...