Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

‘Pink Week’ at the Gossard ISHPEMING — “Pink Week” is happening at the Gossard Building in downtown Ishpeming through Saturday in honor of Kate LaFave, owner of RE: Home, a retail tenant of the Gossard. LaFave was diagnosed with breast cancer in the spring of 2017. She spent her ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’m a pre-veterinary student. When I came back to campus this fall, my apartment complex was overrun with cats. I recognized one that belonged to a neighbor who graduated and moved out last May. I took the cat to an animal shelter that I worked with in the past. (Last spring, I ...

Bulletin Board

Munising quilt show starts Friday MUNISING — The Munising Bay Quilt Guild, started by 10 local women in 1999, now 72 strong, will hold its triennial quilt show from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. The show will be held at the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church on M-28 ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Last sunrise lighthouse tour set MARQUETTE — Marquette Maritime Museum presents the last Sunrise & Coffee Lighthouse tour of the 2017 season at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. Tickets are $5 for members and $10 for non-nembers. Call 906-226-2006 or email mqtmaritimemanager@gmail.com to reserve ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Carnegie has book sale ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming Carnegie Friends of the Library are offering used mystery books at the price of six for $1 throughout the month of October. The selection can be found in Friends Corner on the library’s main floor. The Friends Group is also selling $5 ...

Superior Pets

News from UPAWS PAWSitive impact upaws.org For 40 years, we have worked to provide a safe haven for the homeless animals in Marquette County and beyond.  This new facility will be a beacon of hope for animals and animal lovers and significantly increase our community outreach programming.  ...

The calendar

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Family reading time set at PWPL MARQUETTE — Fall means it is once again time for PRIME TIME Family Reading Time at the Peter White Public Library. PRIME TIME & PRIME TIME Pre-School are family literacy programs focusing on reading, discussion, and storytelling. In particular, they ...

Bulletin Board Continued

‘Wolf’s Mouth’ events slated MARQUETTE — One Book One Community program has planned October events related to this year’s selection, “Wolf’s Mouth” by John Smolens, Northern Michigan University professor emeritus. The novel features a World War II Italian officer in a ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Older couple mourns losses

DEAR ABBY: I am 74, and my wife is 71. We are lonely. All of our friends have died, and we have no relatives in this state. We both have health issues that keep us mostly housebound. That leaves out volunteering and sports, and the high cost of gas is a factor. We live in our own home and ...

Ex wants more, but it may be time to put out the old flame

Dear Annie: Three years ago, my former high school sweetheart and I had a one-night stand. We both live in different states, but I was visiting my family. Although we didn’t have intercourse, he seems to dwell on this night. For example, when he knew that I was planning a visit the ...

Is it better to treat by symptoms or test results?

DEAR DR. ROACH: I am 57 and just starting menopause. I was on birth-control pills for 40 years. I currently take no medications. My TSH level is slightly elevated (5.50) under the new standards. T3 and T4 are both normal. My doctor wants to put me on thyroid medication. He asked me about all ...

Letters: Reheating pizza, dinner in a box, feel-good vacations, robot vacuum

I take every message that shows up in my inbox or on my desk, regardless of its contents, as proof someone out there is reading what I write. That’s good, because I’m not fond of talking to myself. Today, I am glad to share a selection of those letters in the hopes that one day soon ...

With trash cans left outside, the view is garbage

Dear Readers: Today’s SOUND OFF is about garbage cans left in plain view. We’ve had several letters on this subject, and here is one of them: “Dear Heloise: Why do people leave their ugly garbage cans out in front of their house not just on pickup days, but all the time? Not only is it ...

The calendar