Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Gratitude needed

Dear Annie: We live in Florida, and my sister and brother-in-law are coming today. They will be here for six months and are expecting us to pick them up from the airport later. I also have a brother and sister-in-law, who are coming soon and will also need transportation. They both live nearby, ...

Bulletin Board

Theater to present variety show MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University’s Forest Roberts Theatre will present a Spotlight Variety Show that will combine magic, comedy and circus-style acts. The show features the talents of juggler William Oltman, contemporary circus performer/aerial ...

Boyfriend a downer at game nights

Dear Annie: My boyfriend, “Mark,” can be a sore loser, and it’s beginning to ruin game night. Every week, a few of my friends get together to play games — video games, board games, anything that can be played with a big group. Most of the time, I go alone, as these friends were made ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

PWPL open mic

MARQUETTE — Authors, poets, songwriters and listeners are invited to Inspired Words, the quarterly open mic event at Peter White Public Library at 7 p.m. Feb. 4 In the Shiras Room on the library’s upper level. Share some recent work, be inspired by other writers, and get feedback from the ...

Bulletin Board

Blood drives sites, times given MARQUETTE — The UPHS Marquette Regional Blood Center, a service of UP Health System, announces these upcoming blood drives throughout the Upper Peninsula. All times are local. ≤ Monday, at Helen Newberry Joy Hospital from 2-6 p.m. with the bloodmobile. ...

A lying abuser

Dear Annie: Recently, you published a letter from someone whose good friend was being abused by a girlfriend physically, verbally and financially. I agree with your advice to the letter writer to keep in contact with her abused friend. My issue is this: My boyfriend is telling his mother that ...

The calendar

The calendar

Bulletin Board

St. Louis seeks vendors MARQUETTE — St. Louis the King Women’s Club is seeking vendors for its Spring Gift & Rummage Sale scheduled from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 27. For information, email sltkwomensclub@gmail.com or call MaryAnn at 906-942-7624. Tables are $20 each. Info on tech ...

When coffee becomes an addiction

Dear Annie: Just recently, I started drinking coffee most mornings. I’d say that over the past four months, I’ve had coffee an average of four days a week. In the past month or so, I’ve noticed that I get headaches when I skip coffee for a day. I’m guessing these headaches are a result ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Local food happy hour canceled MARQUETTE — Taste the Local Difference’s Local Food Happy Hour scheduled for 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Superior Entertainment Center, 3060 U.S. 41 in Marquette Township, has been canceled due to a scheduling conflict. The event will be rescheduled. NAMI ...

Yes, I can

Dear Annie: Here I am, 78 years old, heading into another New Year’s resolution. I’m hoping you will let me share my sentiments with your readers. With all the chaos, craziness and crassness currently occurring in our environment, I have decided to become a drum major for justice, ...

Seeking logo contest entries for Blues Fest

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Area Blues Society is seeking entries for its annual logo contest for the 16th annual Marquette Area Blues Fest, to be held over Labor Day weekend 2019 in Marquette. Area artists, students, and blues enthusiasts are encouraged to enter. One logo will be chosen as ...

Bulletin Board

Full-length ballet held at NMU MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University Theater and Dance will present the world premiere of the full-length ballet, “East of the Sun, West of the Moon.” This twist on the classic Scandinavian folk tale “Beauty and the Beast” features original ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board Continued

‘Hunt for the Wilderpeople’ shown MARQUETTE — Foreign Flicks, a new program dedicated to contemporary films from around the world, presents the 2016 comedic adventure “Hunt for the Wilderpeople: at 6 p.m. Jan. 28 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room. This is a BYO ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...