Community

Bulletin Board

Marquette City Band schedule MARQUETTE — The Marquette City Band will start its summer schedule June 14. The opening concert will be at at Presque Isle Bandshell at 7:30 p.m. that date. Admission is free to the public, but donations are greatly appreciated. In 1929, John Longyear, Jr. ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

MARQUETTE — The 2018 Guide to Local Food is making its way to the Upper Peninsula, and several events celebrating the release of the magazine are scheduled throughout the U.P. The events are being held to help get the guides into the hands of local chefs, grocery stores, tourists and consumers, according to a press release from Taste the Local Difference, a local food marketing agency whose goal is to encourage an increase of food purchases in Michigan to come from Michigan-based farms and producers. The first will be held at Upper Hand Brewery in Escanaba, from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday. In addition to copies of the 2018 guide, there will be free samples from local producers and information on how to source more food locally for all that attend. On Wednesday, organizers will be at the Marquette Food Co-op from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and later that day from 5-7 p.m. at The Marq in Marquette, which will be offering a locally focused appetizer free to attendees. Other events include: ≤ 5:30 p.m. Thursday: Showing of “Tomorrow” by the Sustainable Ecotourism Board of Alger County ≤ 9 a.m. June 9: Education on the Farm program at Wallis Family Farm & Peaceful Acres Farm ≤ 4-5 p.m. June 9 at Karl’s Cuisine, Winery & Brewery ≤ 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 10 at Les Cheneaux Farmer’s Market ≤ 4-6 p.m. June 20 at Belgiumtown Bar & Restaurant ≤ Noon-2 p.m. June 24 at Algomah Acres Meadery ≤ 5 p.m. June 24 at Milly’s Pizza in Hancock ≤ 4-6 p.m. June 25 at Gladstone Farmers Market ≤ 6 p.m. June 26 at Spring Rolls & Tower Gardens in Iron Mountain For more information, visit the Taste the Local Difference Facebook page www.facebook.com/localdifference.

Keith Secola to perform Friday MARQUETTE — Seven-time Nammy (Native American Music Award) award winner Keith Secola will be in concert along with local Marquette band Waawiyeyaa from 7-9 p.m. Friday at the Marquette Commons. This is a free concert fundraiser to assist Waawiyeyaa with costs ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Teen is not being accepted by parents

Dear Annie: I am a healthy, strong teenager who goes to a great school. I have a roof over my head and food on the table, but there is one problem: I’m transgender, and my parents refuse to accept me. I came out to them about three years ago as gay, before I fully understood what was going on ...

Bulletin Board

PWPL offering board games MARQUETTE — Do you like to play board games? If so, go to the Peter White Public Library’s upstairs Reference Department from 1-3 p.m. Tuesday to try out a new game. Keston Roberts is in the process of developing a game about Trinidad and Tobago. Incorporating ...

Kids and screen time

Dear Annie: Last night, my husband and I had our date night at a local Italian restaurant. Sitting next to us were four high school girls eating dinner. All four of them were on their phones. It appeared to me that two were texting each other while the other two were looking at social media and ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Non-Fiction for Young Adults: “I HAVE THE RIGHT TO: A High School Survivor’s Story of Sexual Assault, Justice, and Hope” by Chessy Prout with Jenn Abelson (362.883 PR YA) is 15 year-old Chessy Prout’s experience as a victim of sexual abuse at the hands of a senior student at St. ...

God provides guidance; are we listening?

Just a week ago, I was coming back from The Festival of Homiletics in Washington, D.C. This is an educational and inspirational event I’ve been waiting for years to attend. This year, held in the nation’s capital as it was, the theme was “preaching and politics,” making it, for me, even ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:30am Worship Child care available. The ...

Rummage sale set for Saturday

MARQUETTE — Redeemer Lutheran Church at 1700 W. Fair Ave. Marquette is hosting a rummage and bake sale from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. All proceeds will be used to help fund several mission trips planned in the upcoming months. In June a team will be spending a week down in Detroit ...

Concert at church planned

MARQUETTE — At 3 p.m. Sunday, a jazz and classical concert will take place in the Chapel of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. Enter throught the parking lot entrance, High at Arch streets. Music will be performed on woodwinds and piano by Patrick and Emily Booth, Mike Bjella and Nancy ...

Negaunee City Band to perform

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee City Band plays its first free concert of the 2018 season at 7:30 p.m. June 13 at the Outdoor Performing Arts Center at the east end of Iron Street. This year the band will be under the enthusiastic direction of Brandon Nelson, who has a bachelor’s degree in ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Loving granny being kept at arm’s length

Dear Annie: I’m very frustrated, and I would like your opinion, please. My daughter-in-law doesn’t seem to realize that some of the things she does really hurt me. I’ve always been there for my son and daughter-in-law. I try very hard to be a good mother-in-law. I never interfere. I ...

Bulletin Board

TruNorth grant program available ISHPEMING — The board of directors of TruNorth Federal Credit Union — an unpaid group of volunteer members — announces that the TruNorth Community Grant Program is still available for 2018. The winning applicant could be awarded up to ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Coming to terms with getting older

Dear Annie: My 30th birthday is just around the corner, and it’s bothering me more than I’d like to admit. I know that right about now, people older than I am are probably reading this and feeling insulted and/or rolling their eyes. I don’t mean any offense. I’ve just never wanted to ...

Bulletin Board

raveraet Class of 1953 to meetG MARQUETTE — The Graveraet High School Class of 1953 will meet at 10 a.m. Thursday at Hardee’s Restaurant to make further plans for their reunion in August. All classmates and guests are invited. MSHS 50th reunion planned MARQUETTE — The Marquette ...