Community

Mother prefers one daughter, neglects other

Dear Annie: At what point does a child quit trying to have a relationship with her mother? Is it natural for a mother to have to call her firstborn every single time before she calls another child? I have tried for years to have a relaxed and friendly relationship with my mother. We come from a ...

Burning tongue may be burning mouth syndrome

DEAR DR. ROACH: I have a “burning tongue.” I’ve had it since my 40s. I’m now 84 years old. I could cook an egg on my tongue. It never goes away. I once mentioned this to my doctor, but she just shook her head and didn’t have a clue. I’m convinced I’ll never know what causes this. ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

Siblings can’t agree on how to help aging mother with finances

Q: My mom is in her late 80s and needs assisted living care, but her assets are insufficient to cover the cost. My older sister and I are tightening our belts to help out. Our other (younger) sister and her husband say they can’t contribute due to lack of financial resources. But they both ...

A dog’s instincts are to stay with the pack

Dear Readers: Is your dog an “OUTSIDE DOG”? He shouldn’t be. Dogs are pack animals, and they want to be with us. Yes, a dog can track muddy footprints inside, may have an occasional accident and may scamper up on the couch during a thunderstorm, but that’s why paper toweling was ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Companies and Their Stock Prices Q: Do companies want their stock prices to be high? — B.H., Dothan, Alabama A: In general, yes. But understand that when people buy shares of a company’s stock, those proceeds go to whoever sold the shares, not to the company. Companies ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

The Peter White Public Library’s book club, Klava Klub, meets the third Wednesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. at Contrast Coffee at 600 N. Third St. All are invited to grab a cuppa and discuss sci-fi novels, old and new. In between meetings, try one of these new selections. “In Artemis: ...

Husband isolates, abuses

Dear Annie: I have been married to the same man for almost 40 years. We have two beautiful children, who have happy lives and their own careers and families. My husband is highly successful and respected in his profession. He has some wonderful qualities. For example, he’s hardworking and a ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Little Lake Legion fish fry set LITTLE LAKE — American Legion Post 349 in Little Lake will have a fish fry from 4-7 p.m. Friday. The choices on the menu are walleye, whitefish (baked or fried), perch, cod (baked or fried), 21-piece shrimp, fantail shrimp or a combo fish platter. All ...

Writer strips free of conservative values

Dear Annie: I was raised in a home with strict values. I was to dress modestly and not have sex before marriage, etc. I married, raised a family and have been devoted to my religion, family and country. I am now 68 years old and find I enjoy something I never considered before. I now enjoy ...

Workshop for writers at PWPL

MARQUETTE — From 6-8 p.m. Feb. 11 in the Dandelion Cottage Room, the Peter White Public Library will be hosting the third of three drop-in Personal Legacy Workshops with Heather Mlsna. In this third workshop, Heather will focus on editing, revising and rewriting with consideration given to ...

Bulletin Board

USDA assistance apps due Feb. 15 EAST LANSING — Michigan farmers and forest owners who submit applications by Feb. 15 will be considered for the current selection for U.S. Department of Agriculture conservation financial assistance. Conservation financial assistance is available for ...

A very unusual gift request

Dear Annie: I just received an invitation to a wedding that I’ve been told will be lavish. The woman is in her 50s, and the man is in his 60s, and they have been together for over a decade, so they have requested no gifts other than monetary contributions to their honeymoon. They have ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

NICE Market Place at Aspen Ridge ISHPEMING — The NICE Community Market Place is Feb. 23 at the Aspen Ridge School. Set up will be form 8-9:45 a.m. and the market place will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Vendors can get one table for $10 and additionals for $10 each. The event is ...

All definitely isn’t in the family

Dear Annie: My husband of two years was divorced from his ex six years ago. They had no children. The divorce was the result of infidelity on his part. When we began to date, he was very upfront with me about his dysfunctional marriage and about how his infidelity was the result of his being ...

The calendar