Community

Pricing mom out

Dear Annie: My daughter and son-in-law live in another state. He is a doctor, and she is a nurse. They are both 30 and have no student loan debt. They have two kids. I go up and visit whenever I can. I don’t make near the amount of money they do, but when we all go out to eat, I have to pay ...

Genealogical society to help with research

MARQUETTE — Peter White Public Library continues to partner with the Marquette County Genealogical Society to help navigate the resources available for family history research. Those with an interest in genealogy are welcome to work individually with an experienced genealogist from 2-4 p.m. ...

Library to host book, vinyl sale

NEGAUNEE — The Friends of the Negaunee Public Library will hold a book and vinyl sale from noon to 7 p.m. Monday in the Reading Room of the Negaunee Public Library. The public is invited to shop for vintage vinyl records and gently used books at this sale, just in time for the holidays. ...

Bulletin Board 11/28/18

‘The Enduring Christmas’ presented MARQUETTE — The Marquette Regional History Center presents: “The Enduring Christmas” by Ragene Henry — A Holiday Read from 6:30-8 p.m. Dec. 5. In 1850 when the first Christmas season approached the small community of Marquette, citizens braced ...

Proper etiquette for handicapped stalls?

Dear Annie: What is the etiquette with handicapped stalls in restrooms? When I go into a public restroom and there are multiple stalls to choose from, I like to go with the handicapped one because it’s roomier. I imagine that many other people do, too. Is that wrong? If I ever saw someone ...

The calendar 11/28/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 12/27/18

Fish fry to be held at Marquette Elks MARQUETTE — Marquette Elks 405 Fish Fry is from 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday. The public is welcome. The Elks is a TV-6 Can-a-Thon drop-off site so people are encouraged to bring in any non-perishible food item and be entered into a drawing for a free fish ...

Is it betrayal to like the ex?

Dear Annie: I am a widowed stepmother of a man and a woman. My husband and I had a cordial relationship with their mother. I grew to love her, and I think she liked me. My stepdaughter, “Renee,” has been divorced for 2 1/2 years. She and her ex, “Matt,” share custody of their three ...

The calendar 11/27/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The calendar 11/26/18

Bulletin Board 11/26/18

‘The Seagull’ screening to be held MARQUETTE — Bringa lunch and get together with other movie lovers to watch “The Seagull” at 12:30 p.m. Dec 4 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Closed captioning will be on to ensure access for ...

Strong feelings for husband’s ex

Dear Annie: I have a tricky problem going on right now. I am married and have been for a while — 20-plus years. It’s been a typical marriage, with its ups and downs, but I’d say I’ve been fairly content and things have been pretty good. Right now, I would say I am in the middle of my ...

Bulletin Board

Steve Hooper to perform Thursday MARQUETTE — Enjoy a weeknight concert, Under This Cold Sky, with Manistique teacher and singer/songwriter, Steve Hooper at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Peter White Library’s Community Room on the lower level. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is a place unlike ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

‘RBG’ documentary screening MARQUETTE — DocuMonday presents a screening of the 2018 documentary “RBG” at 7 p.m. Dec. 3 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the library. Directed by Julie Cohen and Betsy West, this biographical documentary ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Bulletin Board

‘Wind River’ to be screened Tuesday MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University’s Native American Student Association will host a screening of the movie “Wind River.” The event is scheduled from noon -2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Whitman Hall commons. It is free and open to the ...

Heading off a problem

Dear Annie: We would like your advice before there is a problem. We will be moving later this year to live with our son and his family. They have a duplex, and we will have our own unit. We expect to provide child care to our granddaughter and for the new baby coming soon. We will all be ...

New at Peter White Public Library

A good way to relax after the food frenzy of Thanksgiving but before the whirlwind of the Christmas holidays, is to put in the movie you have been meaning to see for ages. Luckily, the library offers DVDs for checkout in a variety of genres — perfect for any mood. So curl up on the couch and ...