Community

The calendar 10/3/18

DITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 10/3/18

Retired personnel to gather MARQUETTE — The Marquette County chapter of the Michigan Association of Retired School Personnel will meet at the Landmark Inn at noon Tuesday, Oct. 9. All new school retirees are invited to attend. Call 486-8096 or 226-3388 by Friday for luncheon ...

Forced to shave by family?

Dear Annie: My niece, “Becky,” is getting married next month, and according to my younger brother “John,” I can’t attend the wedding because I have a beard. Personally, I think I look like Hemingway. I am a food writer and photo journalist. My barber always says, “Don’t shave! ...

The calendar 10/2/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 10/2/18

Nasty political tone in focus MARQUETTE — How can we change the tone of incivility that dominates our political and public discourse? On Wednesday, Al Edgar will lead a forum to help us learn to listen to each other, build relationships and talk about ways to work together. This forum ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: When the going gets rough …

Dear Annie: I started dating this wonderful man. It was a perfect courtship, with the exception of some minor troubled-teen issues in his life — we both have teenagers — that he was working on but didn’t tell me much about. We dated happily with no issues whatsoever for three months. Then ...

Bulletin Board

Bridge tourney on tap MARQUETTE — The Marquette Sectional Bridge Tournament is planned from Friday through Sunday at the Marquette Township Community Center, 1000 Commerce Drive, Marquette. For more information, contact Duane K Fowler at dtfowler62@gmail.com or 906-225-1907 or Cerona ...

Bulletin Board

The Storytelling Ranger presented MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites the public to enjoy the stories of speaker, storyteller, naturalist and retired forest service ranger Pete Griffin — The Storytelling Ranger — at 7 p.m. Oct. 8 in the library’s Heritage Room. In ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Viano String Quartet to perform MARQUETTE — The Viano String Quartet will perform at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 12, in Reynolds Recital Hall as part of Northern Michigan University’s Siril Concert Series. Admission is free. The ensemble’s name was created to describe the four string instruments, ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Bulletin Board 9/28/18

Ishpeming/Negaunee Belles to meet ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming/Negaunee Belles meet at the Jasper Ridge Brewery in Ishpeming at noon Thursday. Pet blessing set at St. Michaels MARQUETTE — In honor of St. Francis Assisi’s feast day, St. Michael Catholic Church in Marquette, will be hosting ...

The calendar 9/28/18

Bulletin Board

Tom Carr to present True Crime MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites the public to True Crime, a presentation by Michigan author Tom Carr. The event will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Library’s Shiras Room. In Tom Carr’s latest book “MI Bad: Robbers, Cutthroats ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

This morning I browsed the New Adult Fiction Kiosk on the main floor of the Library. It only took me a minute to find a half dozen titles that appealed to me. A couple of years ago a friend recommended Lauren Groff’s work. She told me to start with “The Monsters of Templeton,” which ...

Friends won’t pay what they owe

Dear Annie: My wife is a self-employed accountant, and she did work for some friends a few years ago. She billed them at the time for several hours of work, charging a modest fee. It was a complex situation, and another accountant was involved, representing a different family member. The work ...

Search for truth should include self evaluation

There is a town in New Mexico bearing the strangest of names, Truth or Consequences. Imagine writing that on the return address line of your envelope! The phrase suggests a binding relationship between telling the truth and the rest of life. If you tell the truth, you will have nothing to ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:00am Worship Child care available. The ...