Community

Climate lobby group to meet

MARQUETTE — The public is invited to join the Marquette Chapter of the Citizens’ Climate Lobby for the group’s monthly meeting in the Lions Room of the Peter White Public Library at 12:30 p.m. July 13. The national CCL group will present a video-conference to the local chapters during ...

Vet center holding open house

ESCANABA — The VA Vet Center in Escanaba will be holding an open house and summer grill out to celebrate the Vet Center Program’s 40th Anniversary at 11 a.m. July 12. Veterans, active duty servicemembers, their families and the general public are welcome. The Vet Center is located at 3500 ...

Genealogical services at PWPL

MARQUETTE — Peter White Public Library continues to partner with the Marquette County Genealogical Society to help research genealogy resources at PWPL. Those with an interest in genealogy are welcome to work individually with an experienced genealogist on three Thursdays, July 11, ...

Bulletin Board

‘A Dog’s Way Home’ to be screened MARQUETTE — Bring a lunch and get together with other movie lovers to watch “A Dog’s Way Home” at 12:30 p.m. July 9 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level of the Library. Closed captioning will be on to ensure ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Breakfast held at American Legion MARQUETTE — Sons of the American Legion Post #44’s annual 4th of July Breakfast will be from 8-11 a.m. Thursday at the post in Marquette. It’s an all you can eat meal for $10. Any service member in uniform and kids under 5 eat for free. Breakfast ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Summer memorial service planned

MARQUETTE — Lake Superior Life Care & Hospice Summer Memorial Service is open to the public to honor the passing of loved ones. It is planned for 6:30 p.m. July 31 at Presque Isle Pavilion, 3 Peter White Drive, Marquette. RSVP by July 24 by calling 906-225-7760.

IHS alums hosting open house

MARQUETTE — The Ishpeming High School Alumni Association will host its annual open house from 9 a.m. to noon Wednesday in the auxiliary “old” gym of the Ishpeming Middle and High School. All alumni and friends are welcome to attend.

Moosewood, NPL teaming up

NEGAUNEE — Moosewood Nature Center is teaming up with the Negaunee Public Library at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 6, for an educational program. Scot Stewart of Marquette’s Moosewood Nature Center will teach about nocturnal animals. Learn about bats, moths, owls, flying squirrels, and other ...

MSHS Class of ‘84 reunion set

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Senior High School Class of 1984 will be having its 35th reunion on Saturday, July 6. The reunion will be held at the Elks Lodge in Marquette with a start time of 6:30 p.m. Tickets will be $10 at the door.

What’s flying

“I love how summer just wraps its arms around you like a warm blanket.” - Kellie Elmore Like the concert goer slipping into the auditorium during the second song, hoping to go unnoticed, summer seems to have attempted the same trick. Rumbles of thunder and temperatures in the upper 70s ...

Spotlight

*Indicates All As 5th Grade Noah Barry Tiana Bosworth Karma Brown James DeCaire Lola Dockery* Grady Gauthier Katelyn Given Skylar Guizzetti* Nevaeh Hanson Ava Jo Hares Sara Harvey Natalie Heinzelman Dominic Holzmann Brei Hosking Gideon Krook Ava LaPin* Taylor ...

Bulletin Board

Derrell Syria Project set to perform L’ANSE — The good tunes and fun of the Derrell Syria Project will be featured in the free L’Anse Lakefront Concert Series at 7 p.m. Thursday. Those attending the concert are encouraged to stick around for a good view of the fireworks across the ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

Baseball is still America’s Pastime, whether actively playing a pick-up game or passively watching from the stands. The library has books about how to play the game, biographies of famous players, the history of baseball, and highlights of the transformation of teams. Michigan is home to the ...

Dear Annie

Insecurity ruining friendship Dear Annie: I have a friend who I have known for many years, and suddenly I have noticed that she is getting possessive with me. She just wants to see me alone, and she questions whether or not I’m seeing other friends when I can’t see her at a certain time. ...