Community

Superiorland Voices

What additions or changes would you like to see in Marquette city parks?

What’s flying: Spring is happening all around us

“Shining through tears, like April suns in showers, that labour to overcome the cloud that loads ‘em.” - Thomas Otway April struggles, as it always does, to bring a sense of spring to the Upper Peninsula. A couple new days of fluffy white snow blanketing the firm, substantial mounds of ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Cooking classes to be offered MARQUETTE — The Marquette-Alger RESA and the Marquette Food Co-op are partnering to offer family cooking classes. These classes were made possible through grant funds MARESA received from the Superior Health Foundation to support local school weekend backpack ...

Hostage to talkers

Dear Annie: How do you politely handle “the talkers”? There seem to be a lot of them out there — you know, friends, people you meet at gatherings, etc., who talk nonstop and hardly allow you the time to say anything. Conversation should be a two-way street, not a monologue, but they ...

Bulletin Board

Carmen Maria Machado to visit NMU MARQUETTE — Fiction writer Carmen Maria Machado will visit Northern Michigan University to read from her works and give a presentation at 7:30 p.m. April 11 in 1322 Jamrich Hall. Machado’s debut short story collection, “Her Body and Other Parties,” ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Celebrate a new month with new books from the juvenile shelves at Peter White Public Library. The new shelf includes a ski soldier biography, a new, super-loveable character by Avi called Perloo and Marquette author Carrie Pearson’s newly released book about coastal redwood trees. There are ...

The calendar

Addressed with the wrong name

Dear Annie: Our 28-year-old grandson is marrying his college girlfriend, whom we have known for over seven years. For all of our grandson’s life and the years we have known his fiancee, my name has always been “Chris.” We just received their wedding invitation, and it is addressed to ...

Bulletin Board

Middle East expert program set MARQUETTE — Middle Eastern studies expert Benny Morris will present “A New Look at the 1948 Arab-Israeli War and the Creation of the Palestinian Refugee Problem” at Northern Michigan University. His presentation begins at 7 p.m. Monday at Reynolds ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Preschool screening in Negaunee NEGAUNEE — Free preschool screening for Negaunee residents who have children who will be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 1 is being offered Thursday and Friday by the Negaunee Public Schools. The screening will take place at the Immanuel Lutheran Church, Negaunee. ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

NMU Archives program on tap MARQUETTE — The Northern Michigan University Archives presents its second “Evening at the Archives” event of the semester, titled “The Digital Apocalypse.” University Archivist Marcus Robyns and Beaumier Heritage Center Director Daniel Truckey will go ...

Family member made hurtful comment

Dear Annie: I care for my brother-in-law, “Steve,” but both he and his wife, “Tracy,” are a tad egotistical — your classic know-it-all types, the kind of people most can handle only in small doses. Here’s some back story before I get to the matter at hand: My husband and I ...

The calendar

DITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Learning a language a chore

Dear Annie: I love learning languages. I grew up with immigrant parents who spoke their native language to me, and I studied another language in high school. I’m also a native English speaker. I wouldn’t say I’m trilingual, but I can get by in those two languages I’ve learned aside from ...

Bulletin BoardBulletin Board

Storyteller at PWPL MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites the public to My Mother’s Voice with storyteller Judy Sima, on Monday, April 8 at 7 p.m. in the library’s Community Room on the lower level. In My Mother’s Voice, Sima shares the compelling story of her mother’s ...

Bulletin Board

Sondorgo to perform on Friday MARQUETTE — The Beaumier Heritage Concert Series will present Hungarian folk group Sondorgo at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Kaufman Auditorium. The performance in Marquette is the first stop on the North American leg of the group’s international tour, which began on ...