Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Gambler can’t stop checking his phone

Dear Annie: I have not seen this problem discussed in your column and would really like your advice on this situation, as it’s damaged a 50-year friendship. My buddy Roger has become addicted to gambling. He bets on every sport and is consumed with following his bets on his cellphone. He is ...

Dobson at TV6 Christmas Craft Show

MARQUETTE — Author Robert D. Dobson’s newest books: “A History You AUTO Know” and “The Railroad That Never Ran, with GPS Waypoints” will be sold and personally autographed at this year’s TV6 Christmas Craft Show at the Superior Dome in Marquette. Mr. and Mrs. Dobson will be ...

Children’s Christmas Party held

NEGAUNEE —A Children’s Christmas Party is planned from 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday at the Negaunee VFW 3165 (upstairs), 208 Gold St., Negaunee. All children are invited, especially children, grandchildren or any child who has a connection to veterans. Adults are also welcome. Assorted ...

Traditional music jam Saturday

MARQUETTE — From 2-5 p.m. Saturday, the Peter White Public Library in Marquette will host a traditional music jam in the Community Room on the lower level of the library. Bring a guitar, banjo, fiddle, bass, ukulele, harmonica, or just your voice, and join other acoustic musicians and ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Tasty Reads to discuss ‘Delicious!’ MARQUETTE — Tasty Reads, a book group for readers who like to cook, will focus on “Delicious!” by Ruth Reichl at its meeting at noon Dec. 11 in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level. Taking a job at a New York food ...

Bulletin Board Continued

‘Romeo and Juliet’ presented ISHPEMING — Shakespeare’s timeless and ever relevant “Romeo and Juliet” will be presented by the Westwood Shakespeare Company Thursday, Friday and Dec. 12 at the Patriot Performing Arts Theatre. Shakespeare’s tale of star crossed teenage lovers has ...

Male writer is scared to date in the era of #MeToo

Dear Annie: I’m a 26-year-old man who’s very nice, thoughtful and kind. I’ve dated only a few times, and I know I’m still young, but in the era of the #MeToo movement, it scares me to date someone, because things I say or do could be used against me. How do I feel comfortable in the ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Purchase Prices Q: When a company buys another company, does the acquiree’s stock price always go up? — H.W., Salisbury, Maryland A: It depends on the deal. If the acquiree’s pre-purchase market value is around $4 billion (let’s say that amounts to a $40 share price), ...

Stay-at-home mom seeks adult contact by giving art lessons

DEAR ABBY: I am a shy, 30-year-old woman. I stay at home with our 10-month-old, primarily because of our family’s financial situation. I am gifted in the visual arts, but because I don’t have an art degree, I’m unable to pursue a professional job in the arts. Instead, I have been ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Suicide now the second-leading cause of death among teens

Q: Some close friends of ours recently lost their teenage son to suicide. All of us are devastated, and our friends are racked with guilt. We’re also concerned about how this will affect other kids; what can we do? Jim: I understand; not that long ago, there were five suicides at my sons’ ...

Early Christmas is in the cards

Dear Heloise: With all the baking, cooking, shopping and gift-wrapping, I start early, especially with CHRISTMAS CARDS. Mine all go out on Dec. 1. People like to have time to enjoy them and decorate with them. If I get a card a few days before Christmas, it may not get displayed. Not to ...

The calendar

New at Peter White Public Library

I love to give (and receive) handmade gifts. In fact, making gifts is a holiday tradition I look forward to every year. The library has a wide variety of crafting magazines to inspire you this holiday season. These magazines range widely in content. Some are focused on a specific crafting ...

Problem cats costing thousands

Dear Annie: My problem certainly is not unique, yet I’m at my wits’ end on how to handle it. I love all animals dearly, but my favorite is a cat. I’ve had cats my entire life. Almost all have been rescues. I take great care to make sure they are fed, are given shots and go to the vet ...

Bulletin Board

Theater class to perform 2 plays MARQUETTE — A Northern Michigan University Mexican theater class will perform two plays starting at 4 p.m. on Tuesday in room 2902 of the West Science building. They will be presented in Spanish, with English subtitles. Total run time for both is about 45 ...

Birding heats up with count upcoming

“December’s wintry breath is already clouding the pond, frosting the pane, obscuring summer’s memory...” - John Geddes Tomorrow begins the final month of 2018, already. It is difficult to believe the last 8.5 percent of the year is all that remains for 2018. This winter season has ...