Community

New at Peter White Public Library

Here is a short list of New Adult Nonfiction books available at Peter White Public Library that will inspire you to start living your best life today! “Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action” By Simon Sinek In this transformative book, Simon Sinek, the man ...

Friend socializes with ‘other woman’

Dear Annie: Not long ago, I got out of a relationship with an ex who was sometimes physically abusive to me. It was a nasty relationship with an even nastier breakup. And though I can now look back at it as a blessing in disguise, I can’t deny the fact that it broke my heart and soul into a ...

It was a thank-you note to always recall

Taped to the door of our refrigerator, surrounded by pictures of great-grandchildren, a brief quote of business coach, Wanda Loscot, gives this good advice to all who pass by: “It takes about three minutes to write a thank-you note, fold it, stick it in an envelope and mail it, but the power ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:30am Worship Child care available. The ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: You get lots of questions about weddings after the fact. Here’s one that’s before the problem happens so you can advise us. We’re getting married in June. We sent out about 100 invitations, each with a note requesting a reply by June 1. So far, we’ve gotten only a handful of ...

Museum kid’s program coming up

MARQUETTE — The public is invited to join in at Marquette Maritime Museum from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday for Children’s Day. Children’s admission to the Museum is free (accompanied by an adult). Maritime-themed crafts and scavenger hunts all day. Call 906-226-2006 for more information.

Funday Sunday series set

BARK RIVER — A taste of U.P. Gumbo and some exceptional locally grown vineyard flavors are offered this Sunday afternoon at Northern Sun Winery’s first Funday Sunday Benefit Concert. U.P. Gumbo is a group of Marquette area musicians who specialize in zydeco and New Orleans-style music; ...

Summer reading program at FTPL

GWINN — The Forsyth Township Public Library’s 2018 Summer Reading Program’s Summer Reading Kick-Off Party will be from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Monday at the Forsyth Township Public Library in Gwinn. There will be free hot dogs, popcorn, ice cream, and lemonade plus face painting, balloon ...

Vacation Bible School planned

NEGAUNEE — The Eastwood Apostolic Lutheran Church will host a Vacation Bible School from 9:30 a.m. to noon Monday through June 21. Ages 3-years-old through students going into the sixth grade are welcome to attend. Older siblings are also welcome to attend as helpers. This free VBS ...

MSP announces open house at Negaunee post

NEGAUNEE — The Michigan State Police, Marquette County Dispatch, and Negaunee Regional Communications Center invite the public to attend their open house at the Michigan State Police Negaunee Township Post located at 180 U.S. 41E, Negaunee Township, from 1-4 p.m. June 20. In a press ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Brother is always butting in

Dear Annie: I am feeling so desperate, angry and frustrated. I deal with depression, and my brother is certainly not helping matters. I am 65. I cannot do a lot of lifting because of back problems, so I wait for my grandkids to come and help me when they can, which is not so often as I’d ...

Bulletin Board

Lakefront concerts to begin L’ANSE — Kicking off the 2018 L’Anse Lakefront Concerts season will be the annual Choirs, Bells and Ensembles concert at 7 p.m. Thursday in Lakefront Park at the foot of Broad Street. This is a free event. Yarnwinders guild to meet MARQUETTE — ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Jumping to conclusions

Dear Annie: This concerns unwanted reactions by others to my husband’s and my medical problems. My husband has balance and coordination problems, for which we have been seeking answers for years. He sometimes stumbles or falls. I have experienced a degeneration in tendons of both hands and ...

Bulletin Board

‘Sounds of the Sixties’ planned MARQUETTE — Last year, the Marquette Rockestra and Marquette Area Public Schools came together to celebrate the 50th anniversary of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” with an amazing concert at Kaufman Auditorium. By popular demand, these two ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: Behavior when getting Lyft

Dear Annie: About a month ago, a truck with an attached trailer lost control while on the highway and smashed into my sedan. Luckily, everyone was OK. However, my car is currently in the shop for major repairs. I’m working through some fear of driving, and I didn’t want to pay the insurance ...

Bulletin Board

IHS Class of 1973 reunion on tap ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming High School Class of 1973 will have a reunion meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Ishpeming Elks to finalize reunion plans. Any questions contact Kriss Paveglio at 485-1866. Pioneer Days to include flea market NEGAUNEE — During ...