Community

At the crossroads in a dead-end relationship

Dear Annie: I met my boyfriend, “Tyler,” almost six years ago. For the past two years, I’ve been wondering whether he truly loves me. There is very little physical contact between us. We’re intimate maybe once a year. If I try to touch him at night, he pulls away, even if my foot just ...

Readers’ feedback on everything from Pedialyte to whining

I have to admit that my readers’ comments — the good, the grateful, the bad, ugly, glowing, hilarious and even puzzling — are some of the best entertainment I get every day. You make me think and keep me on my toes. But mostly, you make me smile, and that’s why I love to hear from ...

Do airfares take flight?

Dear Readers: Today’s SOUND OFF is about airfares offered in an ad, and what it really takes to get those fares: “Dear Heloise: I’ve lost all patience with travel websites that advertise round-trip airfares at significant savings. The problem: You never can actually find these fares. ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Food connects people and communities. World Vegetarian Day is observed annually around the world on Oct. 1. If you are looking for ways to learn and consume a healthier eating plan these books are for you. Robertson, Robin. “The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook.” 2002. 641.5636 Ro ...

Gambling husband leaves woman struggling

Dear Annie: I’m a woman in my 90s. My husband and I were married in 1949 when I was 21. He died in 2001. We have one son. When it came time to pay for my husband’s funeral, there wasn’t any spare money at all. He’d had three $50,000 accident policies from his work, but I found out ...

Bulletin Board

‘Young Frankenstein’ screened MARQUETTE — Get in the Halloween spirit with the modern classic “Young Frankenstein” at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the Peter White Public Library’s community room. Released in 1974, this spoof of the 1931 classic “Frankenstein” is directed by Mel ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Sons are not welcome at funeral

Dear Annie: This is a problem I know my family will have pretty soon. My mother married my stepfather, “Skip,” after my father died 19 years ago. My stepfather had eight children before they got married, so I have eight stepsiblings. My mom passed away a few years ago. Three of Skip’s ...

New book club to meet

MARQUETTE — A 7 p.m. Wednesday, the Peter White Library will be hosting a meeting of its new book club, Sci-Fi on Tap, at the Ore Dock Brewing Co. The focus of this meeting will be “I, Robot” by Isaac Asimov, first published in 1950. A classic of science fiction literature, “I, ...

Genealogical society to meet

MARQUETTE — The Marquette County Genealogical Society will meet at 6:45 p.m. Wednesday for its monthly meeting in the Shiras Room of Peter White Public Library. A webinar on church records will follow. The public is welcome.

Breast screening to be discussed

MARQUETTE — From noon-1 p.m. Wednesday UP Health System-Marquette physician Dr. Sheetal Acharya will discuss breast screening in this month’s “Meet the Physician” series in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer affects ...

Free concert at NMU

MARQUETTE — The Northern Michigan University music department will host a concert featuring Yale Storm and Hot Pstromi at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Reynolds Recital Hall. This free concert is part of the NMU music department’s Guest Artist Series. Bandleader Yale Storm founded the group ...

‘Going in Style’ at the library

MARQUETTE — At 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, the Peter White Public Library will show the 2017 film “Going in Style” in the library’s Community Room as part of its Matinee Movie series. Bring a lunch and enjoy the movie in a dinner theater setting. Closed captioning will be on to ensure access ...

PWPL to screen ‘Norman’

MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites film fans to enjoy a bring your own dinner movie event at 6 p.m. Tuesday for a screening of the 2016 film “Norman” in the library’s Community Room. Mediocre shyster Norman Oppenheimer is a fixer — he does the jobs that other don’t ...

Pro make-up artist to demonstrate

MARQUETTE — Professional make-up artist Dan Choszczyk will be presenting a demonstration on theatrical make-up at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Marquette Arts and Culture Center. With more than 30 years experience, he primarily uses his talents in live theatrical productions. His specialty is in ...

Bulletin Board

RN training online through NMU MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University will launch a fully online version of its accredited academic program that enables registered nurses to enhance their career goals by earning a bachelor’s degree. The RN to BSN program will combine interactive ...

The calendar

Fidelity is lacking

Dear Annie: My wife and I have been together for 20 years and married for four. We have three kids. In the beginning of our relationship, it was bad — and the bad all came from me. I cheated on her and hurt her. She stayed by my side, and that’s when I realized that I have a wonderful ...

The calendar