Community

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Taken Private Q: I read that Tesla might be “taken private.” What does that mean? — F.L., Columbia, Missouri A: Companies often start out privately owned by their founders. If they grow and prosper, they may “go public” via an initial public offering (IPO), selling ...

Tactile hypersensitivity is aversion to scratchy clothes on skin

DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 75-year-old man with an arthritic back, urinary tract problems and, worst of all, highly sensitive skin! There are few items of clothing that I can tolerate. I turn tank top shirts inside out, preventing seams from irritating my skin. This has been a progressive problem ...

Bulletin Board

All Strings Considered to perform GRAND MARAIS — The Marquette based old time band, All Strings Considered, will present a concert from 5-7 p.m. Oct. 13 at Hilltop Cabins and Motel, N14176 Ellen Street, Grand Marais. All Strings Considered is a traditional old-time stringband with a ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Some stories are simply too good or too big to be told in one book. Sometimes you just have to have more … so here are four brilliant YA trilogies currently residing on the New Teen shelves. “Trouble Is a Friend of Mine,” by Stephanie Tromly, has been billed as “Sherlock Holmes meets ...

Wife digs for details from ex

Dear Annie: I am currently in my second (and final!) marriage. I was previously married for 15 years. My current wife and former wife are not active friends but have met many times and get along very well. My current wife is inquisitive and tends to get information that she wants from people. ...

What’s flying: Some migrants still around late in season

It's never too late in life to have a genuine adventure. — Robert Kurson There seems to be a slight air of tardiness across the Upper Peninsula so far this fall. At least for some things. Newberry did get a touch of snow recently, but many of the area’s maple trees are easing slowly into ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Pie and soup luncheon planned SKANDIA — A Harvest Soup and Homemade Pie Luncheon is planned from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday at Emanuel Lutheran Church, 9812 U.S. 41, Skandia. The menu includes choice of homemade soup or chili, roll and crackers, beverage and a piece of pie. There are ...

Bulletin Board 10/4/18

Fall fest at Fortune Lake camp CRYSTAL FALLS — Fortune Lake Lutheran Camp will celebrate the season and the talents of area quilters and crafters Saturday at its Fall Fest. All are welcome. Festivities begin at 10 a.m. ET with a hearty buffet brunch served in the camp dining hall, a ...

The calendar 10/4/18

Hubby wants to wipe slate clean

Dear Annie: I thought my husband and I had a great marriage — until I looked on his phone and found text messages to another woman. I was crushed. I asked him about it, and he said that it was nothing and that there were only a few messages. When I checked our cellphone details, I was ...

The calendar 10/3/18

DITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 10/3/18

Retired personnel to gather MARQUETTE — The Marquette County chapter of the Michigan Association of Retired School Personnel will meet at the Landmark Inn at noon Tuesday, Oct. 9. All new school retirees are invited to attend. Call 486-8096 or 226-3388 by Friday for luncheon ...

Forced to shave by family?

Dear Annie: My niece, “Becky,” is getting married next month, and according to my younger brother “John,” I can’t attend the wedding because I have a beard. Personally, I think I look like Hemingway. I am a food writer and photo journalist. My barber always says, “Don’t shave! ...

The calendar 10/2/18

Bulletin Board 10/2/18

Nasty political tone in focus MARQUETTE — How can we change the tone of incivility that dominates our political and public discourse? On Wednesday, Al Edgar will lead a forum to help us learn to listen to each other, build relationships and talk about ways to work together. This forum ...

The calendar

Dear Annie: When the going gets rough …

Dear Annie: I started dating this wonderful man. It was a perfect courtship, with the exception of some minor troubled-teen issues in his life — we both have teenagers — that he was working on but didn’t tell me much about. We dated happily with no issues whatsoever for three months. Then ...

Bulletin Board

Bridge tourney on tap MARQUETTE — The Marquette Sectional Bridge Tournament is planned from Friday through Sunday at the Marquette Township Community Center, 1000 Commerce Drive, Marquette. For more information, contact Duane K Fowler at dtfowler62@gmail.com or 906-225-1907 or Cerona ...