Community

Bulletin Board Continued

‘My Cousin Rachel’ to be screened MARQUETTE — At 12:30 p.m. Thursday, the Peter White Public Library will show the 2016 film “My Cousin Rachel” in the library’s community room as part of its Matinee Movie series. Bring your own lunch and enjoy the movie in a dinner theater ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The thief in the lunchroom strikes again

Dear Readers: Today’s SOUND OFF is about stealing people’s lunches from the employee refrigerator: “Dear Heloise: I work in a large office where we bring our own lunch. We either write a name on the lunch or we tag it so it’s identifiable. Someone has been taking food that doesn’t ...

Power of Purity meditation classes

MARQUETTE — Start your New Year right with meditation to cleanse your mind. On Monday and Jan. 22, Kim Lindquist will offer two mediation classes in the Peter White Public Library’s Shiras Room from noon to 1 p.m. Based on Mohanji’s teachings, these classes will guide people in how to ...

Husband isn’t pulling his weight with childcare duties

Q: My husband is more than willing to play with the kids. But when it comes to the practical side of parenting — dinner, diapers, bath times — I don’t think he pulls his weight. What’s a woman to do? Jim: I’ve heard this complaint from many wives. Men and women often have different ...

Card players must grapple with friend’s failing memory

DEAR ABBY: I play cards with a group of men I have known for more than 20 years. We switch partners after six hands so everyone partners with everyone. One member of the group has now become unable to remember the rules and constantly asks how he should respond to his partner’s bid. He ...

Feeling torn over splitting up assets

Dear Annie: I have a will that I made out several years ago but needs revising. Seeing as I have no children, I directed that my assets be split evenly among my siblings — or to their descendants, should I outlive one or more sibling. Over the years, I have realized that my nieces and nephews ...

PAC without symptoms needn’t raise an alarm

DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 72-year-old man in excellent health and physical condition. I ride a bicycle 60 miles a week, and I generally feel good. I have an irregular heartbeat in the form of a premature atrial contraction, which showed up years ago for the first time on a routine EKG. I have had ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

It’s that time of the year when New Year’s resolutions are fresh in our minds. The first one is usually to eat better and lose those extra holiday pounds. This great selection of cookbooks, each with a slightly different focus, will help you find the best dishes for your new and improved ...

Power of attorney turns ugly

Dear Annie: I’ve been estranged from my twin brother for two years, since our sister died after her short battle with a terminal illness. When she was diagnosed, her family gave him power of attorney rights (property and health) during her remaining time. My brother managed her personal ...

NCLL hosts woodworking event

MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will host its “Woodworker Rally III” event from 8 a.m. to noon Mondays between Jan. 22-Feb. 26 in room 137 of NMU’s Jacobetti Center. Sam Carey will instruct the six sessions. Carey will demonstrate and describe tool uses, skills, ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

U.P. Heritage Center to host tour MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will host a tour of the “Cold War in the U.P.” exhibit from 1-4 p.m. Jan. 16, at the Beaumier U.P. Heritage Center. Daniel Truckey, director and curator of the Beaumier Center, will lead the private ...

Countdown to spring has officially begun

“January is here, with eyes that keenly glow, A frost-mailed warrior striding a shadowy steed of snow.” - Edgar Fawcett And with that the woods turn to a new year, a fresh start. Not sleeping away under the drifts of newly blasted snow, but rather planning, plotting its spring time ...

New friend has many annoying social habits

Dear Annie: Over the past six months, a wonderful friendship has been developing with a potential friend who enjoys the cultural and outdoor activities that I do. We are both exchanging viewpoints, backgrounds, likes and dislikes freely. However, I have two problems: When I share my ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

UPAWS offering special deals MARQUETTE — Adopt a New Year’s resolution and start 2018 off on the right paw at the Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter. Throught Sunday, it’s 20.18 percent off all dog adoptions age 6 months on up and it’s $20.18 to adopt any cat age 6 month on ...