Community

Nighttime road trip offers much solitude

“The sky is crying, look at the tears roll down the street.” — Elmore James As I sat behind the wheel, looking out the windshield, the countryside was cloaked in a thick soft robe of fog, making the copper mining era houses across the highway — now mostly boarded-up — look every ...

Gone fishin’

Upper Peninsula • Keweenaw Bay: Anglers should stay off the ice. The shoreline ice is very weak and getting worse every day. The South Entry and Traverse Bay still have ice at the boat launch. • Marquette: Pack ice had blown into the Upper Harbor which prevented anglers from launching ...

Howling Timbers

By KAYLA RENIE MLive.com MUSKEGON — A continuous chorus of howling echoes through the trees as dozens of wolf dogs sing to each other and passersby, hoping for attention and a piece of meat. The animals live at Howling Timbers, an animal rescue and sanctuary, located 10 miles east of ...

Bulletin Board

Fruit tree pruning to be taught MARQUETTE — Dickinson Conservation is hosting a fruit tree pruning workshop at 1 p.m. CST Saturday. The workshop will be at Melodydell Dairy Farm (the McBroom Farm, N470 Thaler Drive, approximately 2 miles south of U.S. 2 in Waucedah and will feature ...

Too late for a house?

Dear Annie: Usually active and energetic, I will be turning 80 in the spring. How I dread that birthday! Once my favorite season, spring now haunts me. A fine artist, a painter, I still have dreams of finding a house to buy — one where I could hang my paintings and invite people in to see ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Senior events

MONDAY CHATHAM: NOON-Senior Dining, Chatham Manor, call 228-6522 before 9 am GWINN: 7:30 A.M. Morning Aerobics 8:30 A.M. Aerobics 10 A.M. Yoga Chair 10 A.M. Aerobics/chair NOON Senior Dining, Congregate Meal 1 P.M. Bridge Club 2:30 P.M. Archery-Gym 7 P.M. Lion’s ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Student scholarship to be marked MARQUETTE — The 24th Annual Celebration of Student Scholarship at Northern Michigan University will be today in Jamrich Hall. The event kicked off with an awards presentation at 9 a.m. in room 1320. Posters and art will be on display in the first-floor ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I enjoy my job, but I’m not satisfied. I’m not sure what I’m missing, though. I think I’m just daydreaming about an ideal job that probably doesn’t exist. But I don’t know how to reconcile that. I don’t want to be at my current job longer than another year or two. But ...

The calendar

Legion tribal vet service rep here

MARQUETTE — American Legion Tribal Veteran Service Officer Stacy King has announced her April hours. ≤ Marquette Tribal Community Center; today and April 24 from 8:30 to 3:30 p.m. ≤ Munising Tribal Community Center; Thursday and April 25 from 8:30 to 3:30 p.m. ≤ Manistique Tribal ...

NMU Jazz Festival starting

MARQUETTE — The annual Northern Michigan University Jazz Festival will be Wednesday-Friday. Thanks to a unique collaboration with the Marquette Symphony Orchestra, this year’s Jazz Festival will feature trumpeter Allen Vizzutti. He will participate in an educational clinic and perform with ...

MAPS to hold early school dismissals Thursday

MARQUETTE — Based on the most recent weather update from the National Weather Service, Marquette Area Public Schools is planning for an early dismissal on Thursday, and still could consider cancellation if the forecast changes. MAPS will have the following release times: Marquette Senior ...

The calendar

Legion officer won’t be here

MARQUETTE — American Legion Department Service Officer Lisa Clark will not be in Marquette on Thursday at American Legion Post 44, 700 W. Bluff St. as previously announced. Any questions about claims preparation, presentation, counsel and other veteran concerns can be directed to the Post ...

Artist collective show coming up

MARQUETTE — Welcoming the beginning of spring after the long winter months, the Marquette Artist Collective presents a bird themed exhibit titled “Bird Song” at Cafe Bodega, 517 N. Third St., Marquette. The exhibit runs through June 5, 2019. This invitational art installation features ...

The calendar

Used book sale at library

ISHPEMING — The Friends of the Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library sponsor a sale of used books on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The sale begins on Thursday at 5 p.m. in the Leverton Community Room on the lower level of the library. At that time and on Friday hardcovers will sell for $1 ...