Community

Niece’s nuptials causing conflict

Dear Annie: I am feeling so conflicted. My niece, “Melanie,” is getting married in June. Melanie is paying for her own wedding, with a little from her mom. She’s 31 now and was 5 when her parents (my brother and his wife) divorced. Long story short, things are acrimonious between ...

Bulletin Board

Auditions for ‘Seussical’ starting CURTIS — Erickson Center for the Arts in Curtis announces open auditions for “Seussical.” The first will be in the Newberry High School Auditorium from 6-8 tonight. Enter through the front door of the high school. Another will be at the Erickson ...

Dear Annie: In need of impartial assessment

Dear Annie: My oldest sister has five grown children. Four live out of town, and one lives with his mother. My sister has never been able to stand up for herself very well. The out-of-town children have been trying to get her money. They have even somehow made the court send her a letter to ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Conflicting viewpoints could become family issue

Q: My wife and I are examples of opposites attract. We hold different social and spiritual beliefs but still really love each other. Now we’re expecting our first child. We plan on showing her both our perspectives as she grows so she’ll be well-rounded. That’s a healthy approach, ...

Bulletin Board

‘Cowspiracy’ screening to be held MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University student group tudents Against Animal Exploitation will be hosting a documentary screening of “Cowspiracy” on Earth Day, April 22, at 6:30 p.m. in Room 2901 of the West Science Building on campus. Snacks ...

Bulletin Board Continued

Michigamme’s Steamer Comes Home MARQUETTE — Michigamme’s Steamer Comes Home will be held from 6:30-8 p.m. April 24 at the Marquette Regional History Center. In 1900 the community of Michigamme bought a horse drawn steam fire engine. By 1962 it was obsolete and sold. Yet many valued ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Cracking Open the Shell Q: What’s a shell company? — H.L., online A: A shell company is a structure that has financial assets and engages in financial transactions but has little going on in the form of operations — that is, little or no production or sales and few ...

A pathway for pet adoption

Dear Readers: Looking to ADOPT a dog or cat but don’t know where to start? The Shelter Pet Project, in cooperation with the Humane Society of the United States (www.humanesociety.org), is a great resource. Simply visit the website (www.theshelterpetproject.org), enter your ZIP code, select ...

Mom taking care of everyone else has no time for herself

DEAR ABBY: I am a stay-at-home mom to three wonderful little girls. I appreciate my husband working so I can do this, but I’m very lonely. I have no real friends. I help my mom with all her medical needs, making appointments and getting her to them. I also help my brother with his three ...

Writing down what’s hard to say aloud

Dear Annie: I am trying to decide if I should print out the following letter and give it to my wife. What do you think? Dear Leigh: My goal here is not to blame or accuse or criticize. I just want to find a way to better communicate. Please don’t get angry or frustrated or feel like I am ...

Quest to get off PPIs leads reader to new diagnosis

DEAR DR. ROACH: I read your recent article on proton pump inhibitors, and I wanted to chime in about my own quest to get off the medications. Over 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and placed on a PPI because of extreme heartburn symptoms. I followed all of the rules: nothing ...

‘The Hate U Give’ to be screened

MARQUETTE — At 5:30 p.m. Thursday, the Peter White Public Library will host a book vs. movie presentation of the “The Hate U Give,” with introduction and discussion led by Douglas Gill. The 2017 teen novel by Angi Thomas is the first person narrative of Starr Carter, a 16-year-old ...

The calendar

Competition in yoga class

Dear Annie: For the past four years, I have taken a yoga class at our local senior center. I am there to work on my physical self, as well as to learn a new way of exercising, and I have enjoyed yoga a great deal. However, I have found that there is a level of competitiveness among a few women ...

New at Peter White Public Library

What’s New at PWPL: Art Books A Big Important Art Book (Now with Women): Profiles of Unstoppable Female Artists—and Projects to Help You Become One (709.252 KR) by Danielle Krysa. Written by the founder of The Jealous Curator, this coffee table book features what most art books don’t, ...

Beautification committee to meet

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Beautification Committee is having its first meeting of 2019. At 7 p.m. Wednesday, the NBC will hold its first 2019 meeting at the Midtown Bakery & Cafe. The meeting will establish a calendar and a “to do” list for the year. Anyone who loves flowers and ...

Holy Week message clear: We are more than conquerors

David Van Kley Last summer, I spent a month on the road, driving out to the west coast to visit family and friends. I often skipped the interstate highways, taking roads less traveled. I crossed over several mountain passes, including the one heading southeast on the Chief Joseph Highway ...