Community

Regretting not having kids

Dear Readers: All week, we’ve been hearing responses to my unscientific poll, inspired by a similar poll by Ann Landers in the 1970s: “If you had to do it all over again, would you have kids?” First I printed responses from the most common group (77 percent): parents who would gladly have ...

Bulletin Board 10/10/18

Tea takes place in Gwinn Saturday GWINN — Celebrating Our Roots Fourth Annual Tea Party and Style Show is planned by the Forsyth Township Public Library and takes place from 2-4 p.m. Saturday at the Gwinn Community Clubhouse. The Style Show will feature costumes and ethnic attire from ...

The calendar 10/9/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The Bulletin Board 10/9/18

Color ride for vets coming up ISHEPMING — At 10 a.m. Saturday, the Ishpeming VFW is hosting a Color Ride for Veterans. Area veterans will ride the Heritage Trail to Marquette and back in a side-by-side ATV and will have an opportunity to view fall colors. A complimentary lunch will be ...

Some people regret having kids

Dear Readers: Last month, I posed a question to everyone: “If you had to do it all over again, would you have kids?” Thousands of you responded. Two days ago, we heard from parents who would gladly have children if given a redo. (They constituted 77 percent of responses overall.) ...

The calendar 10/8/18

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board 10/8/18

Jazz concert coming up at NMU MARQUETTE — Northern Michigan University’s first jazz concert of the fall semester will take place at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Reynolds Recital Hall. It will feature the NMU Jazz Band and small ensembles performing classic works by composers Sammy Nestico, Fred ...

No kids and doing just fine

Dear Readers: In a column last month, I posed a question: “If you had to do it all over again, would you have kids?” In yesterday’s column, we heard from parents who said yes — the largest group, at 77 percent of the responses. Today I’d like to share some responses from people ...

Bulletin Board

Traditional music jam Saturday MARQUETTE — From 2-5 p.m. Saturday, the Peter White Public Library will host a traditional music jam in the Heritage Room on the top floor of the library. Bring a guitar, banjo, fiddle, bass, ukulele, harmonica, or just your voice, and join other acoustic ...

Volunteer opportunties

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Bulletin Board Continued

Kopasz to speak at SERA luncheon MARQUETTE — Robert Kopasz, statewide coordinating council president, who also heads up the Flint and Lapeer chapters of the State Employee Retirees Association, will be the main speaker at the Oct. 17 luncheon. Kopasz has been on the committee that selected ...

The calendar

Man falls in love with unsuspecting best friend

DEAR ABBY: I’m a man in my mid-30s. For the past couple of years I’ve been in love with my best friend. She doesn’t know how I feel, and I know she doesn’t feel the same way about me. (She calls me the brother she always wanted.) I try hard to fight these feelings so our friendship can ...

Dental cleaning for your pets

Dear Heloise: I’m scared — my Chihuahua is having a PROFESSIONAL DENTAL CLEANING soon. What can you tell me about this? — Heather R. in San Antonio Heather, try not to worry. Here’s what happens during a professional cleaning: The veterinarian will first make sure your dog is healthy. ...

Parents who would do it all over again

Dear Readers: Several weeks ago, someone requested that I pose a question to my readers that Ann Landers asked in 1975: “If you had to do it all over again, would you have kids?” I received an overwhelming response to this unscientific poll. The largest group of respondents (77 percent) ...

Fall in love again by making your spouse a constant priority

Q: My wife and I have been married for a few years, and our relationship is already starting to seem a little stale. Is that normal? It bothers both of us, but we’re not sure what to do about it. Jim: I understand. When Jean and I first started dating, I lived in San Diego, and she lived in ...

The Motley Fool

Ask the Fool Taken Private Q: I read that Tesla might be “taken private.” What does that mean? — F.L., Columbia, Missouri A: Companies often start out privately owned by their founders. If they grow and prosper, they may “go public” via an initial public offering (IPO), selling ...

Tactile hypersensitivity is aversion to scratchy clothes on skin

DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 75-year-old man with an arthritic back, urinary tract problems and, worst of all, highly sensitive skin! There are few items of clothing that I can tolerate. I turn tank top shirts inside out, preventing seams from irritating my skin. This has been a progressive problem ...

Bulletin Board

All Strings Considered to perform GRAND MARAIS — The Marquette based old time band, All Strings Considered, will present a concert from 5-7 p.m. Oct. 13 at Hilltop Cabins and Motel, N14176 Ellen Street, Grand Marais. All Strings Considered is a traditional old-time stringband with a ...

The calendar