Community

Bulletin Board

Kromer selling HF caps MARQUETTE — Stormy Kromer is collaborating with the Upper Peninsula Honor Flight for the second year to offer commemorative limited-edition caps with proceeds benefitting the organization. The caps are available in two styles. The traditional men’s Kromer is a ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Drowning in junk

Dear Annie: A close friend, “Jenna,” has a mental illness: She hoards. Her house would be condemned if the health administration were to go there. I can start tracing this behavior back to when she first became a mother and discovered that raising children requires more than just buying ...

Bulletin Board

Circle of Compassion to meet MARQUETTE — Neighbors for a Kinder Community will host “A Circle of Compassion” from 7-8:30 p.m. next Tuesday in the Shiras Room on the second floor of Peter White Public Library, Marquette. Participants are encouraged to take turns sharing their thoughts, ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Smoking around a baby unwise

Dear Annie: I love reading your column so much that I have decided to ask your opinion on a sensitive issue. I recently found out that I am expecting, which is exciting news! However, we have run into a situation with my mother-in-law, as she is a smoker. My husband has mentioned to her several ...

Bulletin Board

Knitting guild to meet MARQUETTE — The October meeting of the UP North Knitting Guild will be from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday in the lower level of the Peter Public White Library. New members are welcome to join the guild and pay dues of $10 for the year. It is never too late to join. All ...

The calendar

Brothers are affectionate

Dear Annie: My daughter is single and raising two sons. Her husband died in an automobile accident four years ago. I am worried about the relationship between her sons, “Steven,” 16, and “Frederick,” 10. I think they are too close and too affectionate with each other. Steven is very ...

Superior Pets

For additional information on any animals at UPAWS, call 906-475-6661 Jazmine, Chance, Tyson and Dovah. For additional information on any animals at Alger County Animal Shelter, call 906-387-4131 Sarge, Albert, PJ and Pumpkin.

The calendar

Shoplifting in front of the kids

Dear Annie: My son and his wife have been married for 11 years, and my daughter-in-law, age 31, has struggled with alcoholism, depression and anxiety for the past six years. She’s also attempted suicide a few times in the past three years. She is under the care of a psychiatrist. But who ...

Adoptive families sought

MARQUETTE — Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan Inc., is currently seeking families for its domestic and international adoption programs. An informational meeting will be held on Tuesday in Marquette at the LSS office, located at 1029 N. Third St. Anyone interested in ...

Final NBC meeting for 2017 set

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Beautification Committee will hold its final meeting and workbee for 2017 on Wednesday. The group will meet at the Pocket Park on Iron Street at 6:30 p.m. Anyone wishing to lend a hand with getting the park ready for the winter is welcome to join in. The meeting will ...

Folk dancers change date

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Folk Dancers are changing the date of one meeting only, from Friday to Saturday. Time and place remain as usual: 7 p.m. at the Women’s Center, locayed at 1310 S. Front St., Marquette. For information, 226-9617.

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

YMCA announces sports programs

MARQUETTE — YMCA of Marquette County announces its Youth and Adult Sports program for the Fall 2 session of 2017. Program information and registration may be found at www.ymcamqt.org or by calling 906-227-9622: ≤ MIX IT UP SPORTS — Experience a variety of traditional sports and ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

‘Love Letters’ performances held MARQUETTE — This October, Vertigo Theatre invites the public to an evening of romance with A.R. Gurney’s “Love Letters.” There will be three performances in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room: at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26; at 7 p.m. ...

Weary mom wants an end to adult children’s griping

DEAR ABBY: I have a super-sensitive adult child who calls me regularly to criticize another sibling. Mothers do not like to hear their children being criticized by anyone — including their siblings. It’s hurtful, no matter who does it. I’m an old lady, and I don’t need this stress. I ...