Community

Bulletin Board

Front Street Brass to perform MARQUETTE — Get into the Holiday spirit with a concert performed by Front Street Brass, at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room on the lower level. Front Street Brass is a 6-person brass ensemble with David Allen on ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: Whenever Christmas rolls around, I feel sick. I want to enjoy the merriment as much as most people seem to. Unfortunately, I have negative associations with the winter holidays. I’m sure I’m not alone in dreading Christmas. How can I put these associations aside in order to have ...

Gander Outdoors honoring vets

MARQUETTE — Gander Outdoors is continuing a tradition of honoring present and past members of the armed forces by installing a massive American flag at its Marquette retail store. The 40 x 80-foot flag which covers 3,200 square feet, flies on a 130-foot pole and was installed as part of a ...

Ham radio session on Saturday

NEGAUNEE — Hiawatha Amateur Radio Association will be hosting a licensing test session for those interested in obtaining an amateur radio license on Saturday. The location is the Marquette County Health Department building,184 U.S. 41 East, Negaunee. Doors open at 8 a.m. with testing ...

Climate lobby group to meet

MARQUETTE — The public is invited to join the Marquette Chapter of the Citizens’ Climate Lobby for the group’s monthly meeting in the Lions Room of the Peter White Public Library at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday. The national CCL group will present a video-conference to the local chapters ...

Carnegie sponsoring jolly jubilee

ISHPEMING — On Saturday, the Friends of the Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library sponsor the Carnegie Holly Jolly Jubilee. This day-long event will include children’s activities on the lower level and a scavenger hunt for families, older children, and adults on the main floor. The decor ...

Bulletin Board

Finnish group to meet Sunday NEGAUNEE — A meeting of the League of Finnish-American Societies UP Chapter Finlandia Foundation Affiliate will take place at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Negaunee Senior Center, 410 Jackson St., Negaunee. The film “The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki” will ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

“The history of the world is but the biography of great men.” Or is it? Though Thomas Carlyle’s Great Man approach to history has been prominent, it is just one of many lenses with which to view the past. Diversify your knowledge with these microhistories of curious, unusual, and often ...

Bulletin Board 12/6/18

Rehabbed owl to be released MARQUETTE — The Chocolay Raptor Center will release a rehabilitated snowy owl at 2 p.m. Sunday on the north side of the Superior Dome at Northern Michigan University. The public is welcome to bring cameras and kids. The owl banged into a house in Big Bay, ...

The calendar 12/6/18

Hubby has night with friend

Dear Annie: I was recently out of town for a long weekend with some girlfriends. When I returned home, I opened the refrigerator and commented to my husband of 30 years that based on the leftovers, he must have prepared a nice meal for himself. He responded that he had invited my best friend, ...

The calendar 12/5/18

Bulletin Board 12/5/18

Scholarship search tool online LANSING — The Michigan Department of Treasury’s MI Student Aid Team is reminding high school seniors and their families about an online scholarship search tool. MI Scholarship Search connects students with thousands of scholarships from local organizations ...

Gift-giving woes

Dear Annie: As the holidays draw near, I like to be prepared and buy my gifts early. Every year, I get stuck when it comes to thinking of a gift for my younger brother “Henry.” Henry is a teenager whose only interest is playing video games. For Christmas, the only things he ever asks for ...

The calendar 12/04/18

Husband using wrong bags

Dear Annie: This may be a new one for you, but I’m finding it frustrating, to say the least. My husband, who is a retired European-trained chef, does most of the cooking now that we are both retired. For years, I’ve used zip-lock bags for storing leftovers. Over the past two years, he’s ...