Community

Bulletin Board

Annie Humphrey to perform at NMU MARQUETTE — Singer-songwriter Annie Humphrey, the Native American Music Awards’ 2018 Artist of the Year, will perform at Northern Michigan University on Saturday. The event begins at 7:30 p.m. in the James A. Panowski Black Box Theatre. Humphrey’s ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by calling 315-2607 — the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should contact the agencies ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

PWPL to host climate change talk MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites the public to Climate Change Musings with Katya Gordon. The event will be at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the library’s Community Room on the lower level. What do climate change, Lake Superior sailing, and a new ...

Finally jumping into dating game

Dear Annie: I’m a 74-year-old single man who has never been in circulation. I have relatives, friends and others who keep asking me, “When are you getting married?” I don’t even know where to start with dating. I don’t know what it is these days or whether it even exists for me. ...

Get out and enjoy the winter scene

“And this that you call solitude is in fact a big crowd.” — Dejan Stojanovic, “The Shape” While it is in the middle of Marquette, birders here can feel like they are all alone. They often head outside seeking a little solitude, looking for all they can find, or just something ...

Bulletin Board

‘Murder and Mayhem II’ presented MARQUETTE — The Beaumier U.P. Heritage Center will host a Historical Society of Michigan presentation titled “Murder and Mayhem II: True Crime in Michigan History.” This free History Hounds Lecture Series event, offered via teleconference from ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Is your idea of a perfect Valentine’s date curling up with a page-turner of a novel? Peter White Public Library has some great new thrillers just hitting the shelves. Get yourself a cup of tea, some yummy chocolate treats and enjoy! “Talk To Me” by John Kenney — A much-admired ...

Why won’t he stop calling?

Dear Annie: My husband and I had a wonderful relationship, and he was a great man. A few years after he died, I reconnected with a divorced male friend whom I knew as a young person. We were doing things together, and I enjoyed his company. He’s 80. I am 78. He lived in another town, and we ...

They’re living among boxes

Dear Annie: I moved four months ago, and there are still boxes and bags waiting to be unpacked. I hate looking at the piles. I want to clean up, I really do, but when I get home from work during the week, I am too exhausted to tackle the mess. And on the weekends, I savor my time to do nothing, ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Banner Design Contest entries MUNISING —The Munising Downtown Development Authority once again announces the Munising DDA Downtown Banner Design Contest, an art contest designed to help beautify Munising’s downtown district. Individuals are encouraged to submit banner designs they feel ...

Is a little bit of wine every night harmful?

Dear Annie: I’m writing to you about something that I’m not sure is a problem. Really, I think it’s just a habit. But my husband told me I should ask you for your thoughts on this. Every night when I get home from work, I have two glasses of red wine. I drink one with dinner and one while ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Jesse McCartney to perform at NMU MARQUETTE — Singer-songwriter Jesse McCartney will perform at Northern Michigan University’s Berry Events Center at 7 p.m. March 29. Tickets are now on sale from NMU EZ ticket outlets and online. Prices are $20 seated and $25 floor for NMU students, and ...

Communication is all-important

Dear Annie: I am extremely disappointed and saddened by your advice to “Sad in Wisconsin,” whose son’s family does not acknowledge the gifts “Sad in Wisconsin” gives. The writer answered his own question, believing he should express his feelings to his son. All you had to do was ...

The calendar

The calendar

Intimacy lacking

Dear Annie: The subject of intimacy involves almost everyone, especially couples, so I’m writing to you not necessarily for advice but in hopes of finding out whether other women relate at all to my observations and suggestions about intimacy. I’ve been married for 40 years to the man I ...