Community

Long-lost daughter brings batch of issues

Dear Annie: My husband and a daughter he fathered 50 years ago recently found each other via an internet post from the two children we have together. Since they met, he has been hiding in a locked room and calling her several times a day. When I asked him to stop sneaking, she sent him a phone ...

Bulletin Board

Breakfast buffet at Gwinn VFW GWINN — Gwinn VFW Post 5670 will sponsor a Breakfast buffet from 9 a.m. to noon Sunday at the club. The cost is $8 for adults and $5 for kids under 10 years. On the menu will be pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, ...

New at Peter White Public Library

Start out the New Year by looking through the adult New Non-Fiction area. Here are a few suggestions. Hope you like them. “Taking My Life Back” by Rebekah Gregory. No one will ever forget April 15, 2013. The day so many lives were changed. Rebekah and her son were waiting at the finish ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 10:00am Worship Child care available. The ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin board

Kid Bizness open at UPCM MARQUETTE — Upper Peninsula Children’s Museum operates Kid Bizness which is open to any kid wanting to create and sell a product. Anyone interested is invited to learn how to get a young entrepreneur involved by attending a session from 4-5 p.m. Friday at the ...

Here’s a poem for new drivers

Dear Annie: Your predecessor Ann Landers published a poem called “Dead at Seventeen” to get the attention of new drivers and impress upon them the dangers and responsibilities of driving a car. Might you have that on file somewhere? I have a 17-year-old granddaughter with a new driver’s ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

Yarnwinders to meet at PWPL MARQUETTE — Yarnwinders will meet at 6:30 p.m.Thursday at Peter White Public Library. Patty Beyer is doing a demo on snow dyeing. Legion fish fry Friday MARQUETTE — Marquette American Legion Post 44, 700 W. Bluff St., will host a fish fry from 5-7 p.m. ...

Does mother know best?

Dear Annie: A few months ago, my mom came to visit from out of state. We’ve always had a strained relationship and never seen eye to eye. While she was here, she made a big deal about the fact that I wash my dishes with bristled brushes and not dishcloths. I explained that dishcloths harbor ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Soup luncheon coming to Trinity ISHPEMING — The Trinity Lutheran Church women will sponsor a soup luncheon from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday in the church fellowship hall. Featured will be homemade soup, bread, bars and beverages. The public is invited. The church is located at 414 E. ...

An accessible shower needed

Dear Annie: My wife and I are both in our 80s, and though we do not travel as much as we once did, we are still able to get around a bit. I am in fairly good physical condition, but my wife must use either a cane or a walker. The problem is this: When we stop at a hotel or motel for the ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

‘Unrest’ to be shown on TV13 MARQUETTE — The documentary “Unrest,” which details a woman’s struggle with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, will be shown at 10 tonight at Public TV13, WNMU. The film was screened Thursday at the Peter White Public ...

Shunned by siblings

Dear Annie: I am a middle child with two elder brothers, a younger sister and a younger brother. They all get together and have dinner and movie dates or hang out with one another. I am always excluded. No phone call or text. They have been rude and unwelcoming for more than 15 years now. No ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Bulletin Board

‘Child 44’ to be screened Friday MARQUETTE — CineArts Films, a series devoted to foreign and independent films, presents the 2015 film “Child 44” at 6 p.m. Friday in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room. This is a BYO dinner event. After a friend’s son is found ...