Community

Bulletin Board

Newsletter prep volunteers needed ISHPEMING — Volunteers are needed for the mail preparation of the Ishpeming HIgh School Alumni Association newsletter, The Beacon Light, at 1 p.m. Thursday. Volunteers are asked to report to the IHS library. Use the Division Street entrance as all others ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Bothersome third wheel

Dear Annie: My girlfriend has a brother, “Joel,” who is 23 years old and has Asperger’s syndrome. Now, don’t get me wrong; I have nothing against people with Asperger’s. But this guy is too much. He always has to have the last word, argues constantly and thinks he knows ...

Bulletin Board

Vinyl on sale at Ore Dock MARQUETTE — Beginning at 5 p.m. today and continuing until 10 p.m. Saturday, a multi-day vinyl record sale will be held at the Ore Dock Brewing Company at 114 W. Spring St., Marquette. This event will take place in the second floor community room. Live music is ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: It’s the children’s decision

Dear Annie: How does one know whether she wants children? For my whole life, I haven’t been sure, but I figured I’d know eventually. Now I’m in my late 20s and not any closer to making up my mind. I’m afraid I’d regret it if I didn’t have kids, but I’ve never particularly wanted ...

Bulletin Board

Maritime museum to host program MARQUETTE — Join Marquette Maritime Museum from 6-8 p.m. Sunday at the Lake Superior Yacht Yard for “Savoring the Past: Maritime Menus from the Great Lakes.” This fundraising event features menu items from historical ships and lighthouses. Local ...

Bulletin Board

Blood drives announced MARQUETTE — The U.P. Regional Blood Center, a service of UP Health System-Marquette, has announced the following blood drives throughout the Upper Peninsula (all times local): ≤ Monday at Upper Great Lakes Family Health, Ontonagon, from noon-4 p.m. with the ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Arnold performs in L’Anse L’ANSE — The unique blend of country, blues and folk music of Jan Arnold will be featured at the L’Anse Lakefront Concerts at 7 p.m. Thursday, June 21 in Lakefront Park at the foot of Broad Street. This concert is free. Pop Up Book Sale ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

What’s flying

It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. — C. S. Lewis It is a time of hatching. Bird nests full of new hatchlings are expected in early June in the Upper Peninsula. Most songbird males are busy feeding ...

The calendar

Dear Annie

Dear Annie: I’ve been dating “Grant” for a few months, though we have known each other for 20-plus years. He has two kids, ages 25 and 21, and I feel that they run all over him. Their mother died about five years ago. She and Grant had been divorced for a few years before that. His ...

Summer reading in Palmer

PALMER — The Richmond Township Library in Palmer is getting ready for their Summer Reading Activities. The schedule for these Family Activities is as follows. ≤ Monday, from 11 a.m.-noon — The Sound of Rain Sticks ≤ Monday, June 25 from 11 a.m.-noon — Let’s make some Musical ...

MAPS summer food program starting

MARQUETTE — Marquette Area Public Schools Summer Food Service Program will begin on Monday. The Marquette Area Public Schools announces the sponsorship of the Summer Food Service Program for children. Free meals will be made available to children 18 years of age and under or persons up to ...

NPL hosting Danna Banana

NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Public Library will host performer Danna Banana at its Storytime at the Market at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Miners Park in Negaunee. Danna Banana is a family music singer/songwriter. He “creates music for kids that parents can stand.” This event is for children of ...

Bulletin Board

Negaunee City Band to perform MARQUETTE — The Negaunee City Band plays its weekly free concert at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Outdoor Performing Arts Center at the east end of Iron Street. Director Brandon Nelson has chosen three marches for this concert, beginning with “Crown Imperial,” ...

The calendar