Community

Bulletin board

NAMI offers confidential services MARQUETTE — The National Alliance on Mental Illness-Alger/Marquette offers confidential support groups and educational meetings for individuals living with mental illness, and friends or families living with an individual with mental illness. NAMI-A/M will ...

Scam victim in dark

Dear Annie: I was recently a victim of fraud. It involved a job offer that turned out to be fake and a check that turned out to be bad. My question to you is: Should I report this to the police or someone else? — Feeling Foolish Dear Feeling Foolish: Don’t feel too foolish. According to a ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

‘Nutcracker Ballet’ held Saturday MARQUETTE — Kaufman Auditorium, in partnership with Second Skin Shop, present Marquette’s eighth annual Nutcracker Ballet at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday in Kaufman Auditorium. Begin the holiday season with this classic and seasonal family-friendly ...

Bulletin Board Continued

Library to hold Holiday Open House MARQUETTE — The staff of the Peter White Public Library invite the public to the 2017 Holiday Open House from 3-5 p.m. Saturday throughout the library. Attendees can enjoy tasty treats and stroll through the 2017 Winter Wonderland Walk display of trees ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Husband won’t lend an ear

DEAR ABBY: I have hearing loss. My insurance isn’t very good, and the monthly payments for hearing aids are the equivalent of a car payment, so I try my best and do without. People who know about my hearing loss will talk louder for me or let me know when they need my attention. Even ...

Dispute over deciding where possessions will go

Dear Annie: Please settle a disagreement between my elder sister and me. We will abide by your decision. I recently turned 85 and don’t expect to see Christmas, as I am in very poor health. I have been passing heirlooms on to family members, primarily to my granddaughters and their kids, as I ...

Bicuspid aortic valve has only two leaflets

DEAR DR. ROACH: I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve at age 54 (I’m now 62). I see a general cardiologist annually for an echocardiogram and an EKG, and have had one transesophageal echocardiogram. However, he has never ordered a CT or MRI to thoroughly check my aorta. I’ve read ...

Kids’ Christmas lists show how self-centered they’ve become

Q: Our kids made their Christmas lists early this year. Reading through them, I’m taken aback at how ... well, self-centered they are. How can we adjust their point of view? Jim: Most children have a tendency to feel that the world revolves around them. Our culture encourages this problem ...

Happy, happy dogs need upbeat praise

Dear Readers: We praise our dogs, but do we use a HAPPY TONE OF VOICE when we do so? A small sample of dogs was studied, according to Science magazine (www.sciencemag.org), and the research showed that dogs’ brains responded best when they heard encouragement in a friendly and upbeat tone of ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

The holidays are looming and we are all looking forward to the perfect gift for that certain someone. The Peter White Public Library can help inspire you with the following new books which can be found on the main floor of the library in our New Nonfiction collection. If you love to cook, ...

The retirement decision

Dear Annie: My fiance recently decided to retire this coming March. We both will be 65 in January, and I have decided to continue to work for another year. If he continued to work for another year, he would increase his Social Security benefits at age 66, and I think that would be smart. He ...

‘Amazing Grace’ to be screened

MARQUETTE — CineArts Films, a series devoted to foreign and independent films, presents “Amazing Grace” at 6 p.m. Friday in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room. This is a BYO dinner event. In this 2006 biographical drama, idealist William Wilberforce attempts to end the ...

NCLL to visit Escape Marquette

MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will offer a trip to Escape Marquette from 2-3 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 7, in suite L-4 of the Masonic Building. Escape Marquette is a team-based, skill-building game where players decode clues, piece together puzzles and solve riddles to ...

Birds spotted despite changing weather, winds

“How sweet to be a Cloud. Floating in the Blue!” - A.A. Milne In the midst of cold, snow, changing weather and winds, there are rafts of ducks just floating out there. No, there is a big raft floating out there, the other half was diving for food. In the center of the crab apple trees ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

‘Great music’ classes to resume MARQUETTE — Just a reminder that after this Thanksgiving break, Floyd Slotterback will resume his classes on “Hearing Great Music” in the Peter White Public Library’s Community Room from noon-1 p.m. Monday, then Dec. 4 and Dec. 6. The first three ...