Community

Bulletin Board

‘Learning to Walk Together’ pow wow MARQUETTE — The 24th annual “Learning to Walk Together” traditional pow wow at Northern Michigan University will be held on Saturday in the Vandament Arena. General admission is $5. NMU students are admitted free with ID. Doors open at 11 a.m., ...

‘Cinderella’ to be presented

MARQUETTE — On Saturday, the Peter White Public Library will present “Cinderella” as part of its “Once Upon a Time” puppet shows series. There will be two performances: one at 1 p.m. and another at 2 p.m. in the Community Room on the lower level of the library. Veteran performers ...

County quilters holding event

MARQUETTE — In honor of National Quilting Day, on Saturday, the Marquette County Quilters Association will host an event open to the public from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Marquette Arts and Culture Center, in the lower level of Peter White Public Library. The event is a celebration of ...

Alger chamber scholarship cited

MUNISING — The Alger County Chamber of Commerce has announced a scholarship to be awarded the spring of 2017. This $500 scholarship will be awarded to a person of any age and educational endeavor planning to attend an accredited higher education program/institution. The potential or ...

The Calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

U.P. knitting guild to meet

MARQUETTE — The UP North Knitting Guild will meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the lower level of the Peter White Public Library. This meeting will be turning over the baby blankets and hat socks to the Care Clinic. Then the chart reading class that was canceled last month will be ...

NAMI support session scheduled

MARQUETTE — The National Alliance on Mental Illness-Alger/Marquette offers confidential support groups and educational meetings for individuals living with mental illness, and friends or families living with an individual with mental illness. A support group will gather at 7 p.m. Thursday ...

Boy Scouts spaghetti feed set

GWINN — Boy Scout Troop 333 of Gwinn will have a spaghetti dinner fundraising event from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at VFW Post 5670 in Gwinn. The event will feature silent auctions, 50/50 and bucket raffles in addition to the meal. Tickets are $5 for adults and $2 for children.

Jewelry making workshop planned

MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will host a “Jewelry Making with Copper Findings” workshop from 1 to 4 p.m. March 23 in 404A Cohodas Hall on the campus of Northern Michigan University. Jewelry maker Bonnie Badour will teach participants about caging a round bead ...

Was baby’s name ‘stolen’?

Dear Annie: Ever since I was a young girl, I’ve known exactly what I want to name my future children. Wedding plans, career goals, possible boyfriends, even where I’d want to live — none of these was as clear to me as the names of these future kids. When I played with my Barbies, Barbie ...

Bulletin board

‘St. Catty’s Day’ event at UPAWS NEGAUNEE — The Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter’s “St. Catty’s Day” adoption event starts today. People can go to UPAWS during this special “St. Catty’s Day’ celebration and save a pot o’ gold. UPAWS will be holding the “St. ...

Community calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

The Calendar

Facing deal breaker?

Dear Annie: After a series of, let’s just say, not-so-nice relationships, my best friend and old college roomie set me up with a girl from his hometown named “Stephanie.” I’ve never believed in love at first sight, but this was pretty close. We hit it off and have a ton in common. A ...

PWPL to host astro presentation

MARQUETTE — On Wednesday, the Marquette Astronomical Society in conjunction with the Peter White Public Library will be presenting “What’s Out There? Observing the Moon.” Held in the library’s community room at 7 p.m., this program will cover when and where to find the Moon and once ...

Photography workshop on tap

MARQUETTE — The Northern Center for Lifelong Learning will host a photography workshop from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the following Wednesdays: March 22, April 26, May 24 and June 28. The class will meet in room 404A of Cohodas Hall at Northern Michigan University. Photographer Kim Marsh will ...

Free meal to be offered at church

GWINN — There will be a free home-cooked meal, open to the public, from 5:30 to 6:15 p.m. Wednesday at First Baptist Church of Gwinn, 195 N. Billings St. This month the meal will be a hot dog and hamburger picnic. Take-outs are available after 6 p.m. For more information, contact Mike ...

The calendar

Community Briefs

‘Little Miss Sunshine’ screened MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library Invites film fans to a free screening of the modern classic “Little Miss Sunshine” at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the library’s community room. Released in 2006, this comedy follows a dysfunctional family as ...

Bulletin Board

Chloe Hilliard holds comedy show MARQUETTE — Journalist-turned-comedian Chloe Hilliard will present a free comedy show from 8-9 p.m. Friday in room 1100 of Jamrich Hall at Northern Michigan University. According to her website, Hilliard was raised in a large Hasidic Jewish neighborhood ...