Community

Bulletin Board

‘I Am Not Your Negro’ screened MARQUETTE — DocuMonday presents a screening of the 2016 documentary “I Am Not Your Negro” at 7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 7 in the Peter White Public Library Community Room. In 1979, James Baldwin wrote a letter describing the state of race relations in his ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Bulletin Board

Library to offer computer classes MARQUETTE — Peter White Public Library reference staff will offer four computer classes at the Peter White Public Library at 3 p.m. Mondays in August. “Download E-books & Audio Books” Aug. 7 and again Aug. 21 will demonstrate how to use the new ...

Needing help to fight a lender

Dear Annie: My wife and I are in our mid-70s, are retired and have been living in our lovely home for 10 years. In 2011, because of the loss of our incomes, we took out a reverse mortgage. The lender has lost its Better Business Bureau accreditation and employs unscrupulous thieves who have ...

Always try to look for the best in others

Want a simple formula for a miserable life? Just focus on the faults of others. Zeroing in on what’s wrong with everybody may sound like great sport but it just wounds and destroys. A century ago, the eloquent minister, DeWitt Talmadge, wrote: “There is in every community and every ...

Late summer offers great bird variety

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” — Benjamin Franklin If it seems like there are suddenly more birds around some areas it may be because there are a lot of new fledglings currently following parents around learning the ropes of life. House and ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin Board

Grace Lutheran meal planned GWINN — Grace Lutheran Church in Gwinn will serve its free Table of Grace community meal from 5:30 to 6:15 p.m. Wednesday. Everyone is invited. The menu will consist of shepherd’s pie and take-outs will be available. The handicap-accessible church is at 558 ...

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

New at Peter White Public Library

It’s time to dive right in to a few adult fiction books. I know it’s summer and being outdoors is probably high priority, but why not check out one of these great novels in case you want to sit down under a big oak tree to cool off or cool off at the lakeshore. “A Separation” by Katie ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 10:00am Worship Child care available. The ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Ishpeming Belles to meet ISHPEMING — The Ishpeming/Negaunee Belles meet at the Red Lobster in Marquette at noon Aug. 3. The Ishpeming Belles meet at St. Joseph’s parking lot at 11:30 a.m. to car pool. ‘Deadpool’ to be screened at PWPL MARQUETTE — Peter White Public Library ...

Dear Annie: Theft of a social circle

Dear Annie: My little sister moved to the town where I live a few months ago. My husband and I regularly invite her to hang out with our group of friends, and we have some family here, too, whom we see. She and I have a lot in common, with very similar taste in books and movies and a penchant ...

The Calendar

MCMCF planning annual fun day

ISHPEMING — The Annual Family Fun Day at the Marquette County Medical Care Facility, 200 Saginaw St., in Ishpeming, is planned from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Aug. 2. This is a free event and the community is invited to join in celebrating summer. According to a news release, this is also MCMCF’s ...

Talk on headaches, migraines set

MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites the public to a talk on headaches and migraines at 7 p.m. Aug. 2 in the Shiras Room. The talk will be given by PA Bonnie Kilpela with Dr. Jennifer Dehlin and Dr. Christopher Dehlin of Single Track Health. Not only will Kilpela discuss the ...

PWPL supporting Room at the Inn

MARQUETTE — The Peter White Public Library invites the public to help build a better world by making a donation to Room at the Inn’s Warming Center. During the month of August, bring to the circulation desk individually wrapped snack bars, cereal, coffee, city garbage bags, or gift cards ...

Dear Annie: Gossip by any other name

Dear Annie: I need advice on how to deal with my husband’s friend. This person is a gossip who delves into the details of other people’s personal lives. He entertains groups with these unflattering stories and makes himself important by offering his analyses, judging their life choices, ...