Community

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Dear Annie: Just a touch

Dear Annie: In this new (and long-overdue) era of “#MeToo,” I’m wondering: Is it always inappropriate to lightly the touch the arm of an opposite-sex acquaintance during a casual conversation? I’m not talking about prolonged or repeated touches. I just mean a spontaneous and quick ...

Bulletin Board

K of C fundraiser planned MARQUETTE — The Knights of Columbus of Marquette will hold their annual All-You-Care-to-Eat Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser for the Care Clinic of Marquette on Saturday, Feb. 3 at St Peter Cathedral hall. Serving will be from 4:30-7 p.m. and includes ...

Bollywood tickets on sale

MARQUETTE — Tickets for the 15th Annual Bollywood night are now on sale at Peter White Public Library’s Circulation Desk. Visit or call 906-226-4332. Bollywood is at 6 p.m. Saturday in the library’s Community Room. Doors open at 5:30. The evening consists of a Bollywood film, Dangal, ...

Swap, shop set

NEGAUNEE — Hiawatha Amateur Radio Association will be holding its annual Swap and Shop from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Negaunee Township Hall, 42 M-35. For more info contact John at carczar52@gmail.com.

The calendar

EDITOR’S NOTE: Information for the Community Calendar should be submitted in writing, including the phone number of a contact person, no later than one week before the event. Mail to The Mining Journal, Attention: Newsroom/Community Calendar, Box 430, Marquette, MI 49855; fax to 906-228-2617; ...

Bulletin board

Programming club to meet MARQUETTE — Coder Dojo 906, a community-based programming club for young people sponsored by the Northern Michigan University Seaborg Center, is offering coding classes from 4-6 p.m. on the following Tuesdays during the winter semester: Jan. 30, Feb. 13, March 13, ...

Running to mommy

Dear Annie: My boyfriend, “Mike,” and I are in our late 20s and have been together for five years. Our issues stem from his calling his mom during every argument we have — whether it’s small or large. It adds strain and stress to everything, but he doesn’t see it. I have asked him ...

The calendar

Bulletin board

Kennel club hosting meet, greet MARQUETTE — The Marquette Kennel Club will host a meet-and-greet of various breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club tonight. These breeds can be seen this February at the 141st Westminster Kennel Club dog show, which enthusiasts describe as the Super ...

Tipping housekeepers

Dear Annie: You frequently write about tipping, but I’ve never seen a column about housekeepers, which is one of the hardest jobs, in my opinion. I am 67 years old and have been employed for four years at minimum wage. We clean up to 20 rooms a day. For example, today I cleaned 16 rooms and ...

Bulletin Board

‘Victoria & Abdul’ to be screened MARQUETTE — At 12:30 p.m. Thursday, the Peter White Public Library will show the 2017 film “Victoria & Abdul” in the library’s community room as part of its Matinee Movie series. Bring a lunch and enjoy the movie in a dinner theater ...

The calendar

Bulletin Board

Winter walk, presentation held MARQUETTE — The public is invited for a brief presentation and a winter walk at 6:30 p.m. Friday at MooseWood Nature Center to learn about and interact with owls native to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Board member Scot Stewart will begin with an ...

Volunteer opportunities

Volunteer opportunities available for willing people of all ages in Marquette County. Persons 55 or older can learn about these and other possibilities in their community by contacting Julie Shaw at 315-2607 at the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program. Younger potential volunteers should ...

Worshipping This Week

Marquette Marquette Hope a multi-site united methodist community Reverend Kristi Hintz Reverend Christopher Hintz 906.225.1344 office@mqthope.com www.mqthope.com First Campus 111 E. Ridge Street (Corner of Front and Ridge) 9:30am Worship Child care available. The ...

What’s flying: Time to shake loose the winter doldrums

“Winter then in its early and clear stages, was a purifying engine that ran unhindered over city and country, alerting the stars to sparkle violently and shower their silver light into the arms of bare upreaching trees. It was a mad and beautiful thing that scoured raw the souls of animals ...

Dear Annie: Behind-the-back talk not positive

Dear Annie: I have a problem with my friend “Julie” that I’m not sure how to handle. She’s a really good friend in many ways. She’s always there when I’m going through hard stuff. She’s generous with food and gifts and other thoughtful gestures. For instance, last year, when she ...

Bulletin Board

Hope Free community dinner set ISHPEMING — A Community Dinner will be held at Hope Free Lutheran Church in west Ishpeming at 5 p.m. Sunday. Everyone is welcome to come for a meal of mostaccioili, garlic bread and tossed salad. There is no charge for the meal. For more information, call ...