Writer’s Harvest backs Canathon
MARQUETTE — Help a neighbor and treat yourself to some poetry and Christmas music at the same time. The Peter White Public Library and Northern Michigan University’s English Department invites the public to Writer’s Harvest at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the library’s Community Room.
Join current Poet Laureate of the Upper Peninsula, Marty Achatz, and the creative writing faculty from Northern Michigan University’s English Department for an evening of music and words to benefit WLUC TV6’s annual Canathon.
Scheduled to read along with Achatz are NMU creative writing professors Lynn Domina, Matt Gavin Frank, Jen Howard, Austin Hummell, Patricia Killelea, Rachel May, Beverly Matherne and Monica McFawn. Each writer will read from their work for five to seven minutes, with musical entertainment provided by local musicians Linda Smith and Seamus Collins before and after the event.
Admission is one canned good or nonperishable food item, all going to the TV6 Canathon.
This event is sponsored by Peter White Public Library and NMU’s English Department. For more information, visit www.pwpl.info or call 226-4318.
Messiah community meal set
MARQUETTE — Messiah Lutheran Church in Marquette will host its monthly community meal at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
For more information about this or other programs at Messiah, go to messiahlutheranmqt.org or call 225-1119. The church is located at 305 W. Magnetic St.
NPS announces concert schedule
NEGAUNEE — The Negaunee Public Schools has announced its concert schedule:
– Wednesday, Dec. 6, Negaunee MIddle School Choir Concert at the Negaunee High School Auditorium at 7 p.m.
– Wednesday, Dec. 13, Negaunee High School Chorus Concert at NHS Auditorium at 7 p.m.
– Thursday, Dec. 14, Orchestra Concert, grades 5-12, at NHS Auditorium at 7 p.m.
– Thursday, Dec. 14, Lakeview Elementary School Concert at Lakeview School gym — junior kindergarten and kindergarten at 9:30 a.m. and grades one and three with chorus at 11 a.m.
– Friday, Dec. 15, Lakeview Elementary School Concert, grades two and four and chorus, at 11 a.m. in the Lakeview School gym.
– Thursday, Dec. 21, Band, grades 5-12 at 7 p.m. in the NHS Auditorium.