Ostracized because of her parentage

Annie Lane

Dear Annie: I need your advice. In my social life and at my places of employment, I used to tell people that the man who raised me with my mom was not my biological father.

At work, customers and co-workers would say unkind things to me about that. Then, a few weeks later, I would get let go for no logical reason, or it would turn into a hostile work environment and I would be forced to quit.

The final straw came when I was leaving church and the clergyperson shook my hand goodbye and at the same time pushed me out the door. I had a DNA test done, and it turns out that my dad is my biological father.

I don’t feel I owe people an explanation, and even if I did, they would probably not believe me anyway. How do I handle these horrible people? — Really Dad’s Little Girl

Dear Really Dad’s Little Girl: I’m thinking there must be more to the story than you’ve included in your letter, because their behavior sounds bizarre. Your biology is none of their business. If you were terminated because of your parentage, you should have legal recourse. Contact an attorney.

Editor’s note: Send your questions for Annie Lane to dearannie@creators.com. To find out more about Annie Lane and read features by other Creators Syndicate columnists and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at www.creators.com.