Superiorland Yesterdays

EDITOR’S NOTE: Superiorland Yesterdays is prepared by the reference staff at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette.

30 years ago

MARQUETTE — The Jilbert Pee Wee AA hockey team of Marquette improved its season record to 15-14-6 here Sunday with a two-game sweep of Escanaba, Bosk Paint. Coach Jon Nebel’s Jilbert icers cruised to 13-2 and 7-0 victories as they outshot the opponent 86-19 in the two-game set. Brian Phillips, Bob Viau, Jason Liberty, Erik Stien, Gary Borg, Barry Marietta and Matt Mering each knocked home one goal in the 7-0 victory while goaltender Aaron LaBelle swatted away 14 shots. Brian Nyberg, Mike Sullivan, Jason McCarthy, and Chris Jackson each added to the goal count during the games.

60 years ago

MARQUETTE — Many of Marquette’s streets were named for pioneers, but several of the names have been changed since they were first entered on the records. What could be called the first thoroughfare in the county is Jackson Street, which was cut through by the Jackson Mining Co. in 1845 from the Lake Superior shore to the Jackson Mine in Negaunee four years before Marquette was established. It was called the Jackson Trail. Marquette’s first street, if it could be called that, known as Superior before the name was changed in 1903 to Baraga Avenue, in honor of Bishop Baraga, was carved out of the woods as far west as a swamp and creek near the present Third Street.